chassis

Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
BMS4
SHOW GUEST

Default chassis

can anyone tell me the difference between a dirt modified chassis and a dirt super stock chassis if there is one
Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

What sanctioning organization ?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Is this a trick question...? seriously...? If you don't even have a clue to the answer of this I could spend all day trying to explain the difference to which you would never ever get it...? You need to go for a bomber/hobby stock beginner class and start from the bottom learning like everyone else has to. Not trying to be a smart ass, but jeeesh get real...
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like he's already running an '82 Cutlass. Don't know how much experience he has, though.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:20 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I think that might have been a bit of a harsh answer from dirt racer 22 there. Even if you consider it to be a dumb question, which I don't think it was, why castrate a guy just for asking?

I have no dirt experience myself or I would answer the man's question for him. We all at times have to ask things that others think is elementary. If it bothers you that much just pass by and don't answer the guy. Why would this person ever come back after this?

If he attacked someone personally on here or broke some rule, then have at him. As for this, if someone can answer it I wish they would.

Off my soapbox now.

Curtis
Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I'm with you Curtis. I wish I had an awnser for the guy. I just don't race in circles.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Ok, BMS4 (show guest with only two posts since 2009), I apologize...
I've been out-voted that you are not just pulling our leg...??? To me this falls in the same category as explaining the difference between a door slammer and John Force Top Fuel Funny Car... but here is the answer...

a Super Stock car is a full STEEL bodied factory production car with stock type suspension in stock location, engine placement in stock location or sometimes with #1 spark plug even with upper ball joint, stock firewall in stock location, usually limited to 8" wide wheels and tires, stock type shocks, stock appearing body usually weighing in about 3200 lbs, stock type transmissions, stock type clutches and flywheels, stock type fuel pump and steering pump in stock location, usually limited to flat tappet cam 10 to 1 motor with headers and gasoline only. A good competitive Super Stock can be built for about $3000 to $6000.

a Modified is an ALUMINUM bodied highly refined piece of machinery, with almost nothing being stock, except the front frame stub, and very few restrictions. Everything else after that is lightweight fabricated, altered, modified and tweaked, resembling nothing even near and stock car. It has all aluminum body, fiberglass and/or plastic body pieces, engine set back behind cross-member, driver tub with no full floor or stock firewall, and they usually weigh in at about 2350 lbs. The aftermarket exotic engines cost upwards of $20,000.00 or more for USMTS full roller cam spec, to about $8,000.00 or more for IMCA flat tappet cam spec. They run either alcohol or very high octane race gas on special after market rear drive pumps for USMTS, or can run front Gilmer belt type drive pumps for IMCA. They have exotic 4 bar rear suspensions with numerous exotic components costing several hundreds of dollars, exotic shocks costing $300 to $500 each, direct drive two speed aluminum transmissions costing over $1300.00, quick change rears axles for USMTS or USRA, or Ford 9" floater for IMCA. Spec racing wheels and tires depending on what sanctioning body you attend with determine a level playing field. A good competitive Modified will set you back $35,000 to $50,000.00 or more, depending on which sanctioning series you run
These cars are very twitchy, unpredictable and have a nasty attitude beyond description.... extremely difficult "On the Edge". It takes years of seat time experience to be able to pilot one of these insane masterpieces... much like trying to pilot a top fuel funny car...

I hope that explains the difference clear enough, and I apologize again for questioning the integrity of your question... Jim
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks DRT, now we ALL have gained a little knowledge !
Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Jim,

I appreciate the explanation. I had no idea between the two. I'm a drag racer and have never been around dirt cars other than a friends micro. Even then I only went to one race and drove it one night at a test and tune. Or what ever they call it on dirt. LOL Thank you for your time.

Curtis
Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for the info DRTRCR22. Since I'm a drag racer also I didn't know the diff till you explained it. A guy near me builds the higher end cars told me that's what I needed instead of my Chevy II. He said he could put me in one turnkey for $80,000. I was speechless, I couldn't do that even if I could afford it and have some guy banging into it every weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -