Thread: Upping the boost on my 8-71 blown big block

Upping the boost on my 8-71 blown big block

Here's the set up. 468 BBC. 8-71 with 2 750's. Jetted square with 72's. 8 to 1 pistons. 61 top pulley, 54 bottom, for about 9% under-driven. Runs on 93 octane pump gas. Chassis dyno'd at 461 hp, 420 ftlb tq. I'd like to kick up the boost, without having to go to race gas. I figure swapping the pulleys would be way too much, even jetting up the carbs. So, what size top pulley can I go to? And how much higher on the jets?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Something is big time wrong, those dyno numbers are too low.
    JMO
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Upping the boost on my 8-71

I thought so too. It was on a portable chassis dyno at a car show, so who knows how accurate?

Do you have a boost gage? Is the blower teflon stripped?

You can probably get away with 1 to 1 ratio with 93 octane but i wouldn't think any more than that.

JMO

Zip.

Thanks for the response!

Upping the boost on my 8-71 blown big block

Is there any "rule of thumb" as far as jetting increase, when changing pulleys from 54-61 (9% under) to 54-54 (1 to 1)? Like, maybe, one jet size per two teeth or something? Just some sort of starting point, so I don't melt pistons trying to find the right combo!

Re: Upping the boost on my 8-71 blown big block

Quote Originally Posted by f35rocket
    Is there any "rule of thumb" as far as jetting increase, when changing pulleys from 54-61 (9% under) to 54-54 (1 to 1)? Like, maybe, one jet size per two teeth or something? Just some sort of starting point, so I don't melt pistons trying to find the right combo!
    Never heard of a "Formula" like that . . It's just "More air . . More Fuel".

Start with jetting that should put you rich and then lean it out to taste . . Kinda like making Chile . . .

8. Racing Junk