DUMB Question, maybe?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default DUMB Question, maybe?

Dos's anyone actually use the E3 spark plugs always advertised on NHRA and NASCAR,
I personally have never heard of anyone using them in a racing engine.

Just Curious.

Zip.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Nobody around here that I am aware of.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I tried them on a SBC 400. It ran better on Autolites for me.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Heh, heh . . To be the "Official Spark Plug of the NHRA" requires only money, not quality or even function. They sponsor a year's worth of contingency awards if you wear their decals on your car and have their plugs in your car when you win (or put them in after the fact).

Their rules dictate that you must use their product in order to qualify for the advertised contingency money. Or at least appear to.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Even in this video it doesn't prove anything to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTRy_pVtE1g
Old 10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Remember spilt fire plugs? Didn't they make similar claims.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Heh, heh . . To be the "Official Spark Plug of the NHRA" requires only money, not quality or even function. They sponsor a year's worth of contingency awards if you wear their decals on your car and have their plugs in your car when you win (or put them in after the fact).

Their rules dictate that you must use their product in order to qualify for the advertised contingency money. Or at least appear to.
x2 just like Fram oil filters
Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Just more bs and snake oil. Save your money.........Total junk if you ask me. You WILL NOT GET MULTIPLE SPARKS FROM THIS PLUG!!! Multiple sparks are ignition driven, not a function of the plug. While each individual spark might travel a different path, you'll only have ONE SPARK PER COMBUSTION CYCLE. If you're running a MSD CD style ignition, you will have multiple sparks per event, but only until approx 1500 rpm where it starts dropping spark. At approx 2000 rpm it's reduced from four spark events at lower rpm to three, at approx 2500 rpm, it drops to two, and at approximately 3000 it's down to only one spark event per combustion cycle. Hook up an ignition scope sometime and watch, it's very interesting...... As to the plug, just another gimmick that will eventually fade as people learn the truth...
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

You only get a "Multiple Spark" at your plug if it's furnished by your Ignition Source. Even as far as the MSD (Multuple Spark Discharge) goes, I suppose it might help with Ignition, but I don't feel that you need it or that it works as well as advertised. Unless you have bad fuel or literally no gap at your plug, the first arc (what the spark actually is) from the electrode to the ground strap will light yer fire . . Anything after that is more or less, a waste of electricity.

A few years back, I tried a MSD on my Street Rod, a '34 Ford with a Blown SBC in it. I couldn't tell the difference from the old HEI I had on it. Nothing changed, started the same, got the same mileage, drove the same. Probably because if it was timed the same, and nothing was done to the fuel system, the MSD did exactly what the HEI had done before it. Set a fire with the first arc. (Spark)

But spark plugs, by themselves, don't do enough to change much. They're just a device to create an arc inside the Comustion Chamber when it's needed, everytime. High Cylinder pressure and lots of heat use 'em up but I dunno, I don't see a whole lotta difference between one and another in a well tuned Gas or Alky engine. If you have the right heat range, usually, in a race car, you'll just change them because it's a good idea, not because they're worn out.

The only time we change them is when the ground strap gets hard to read . . That's about twice in a season or when we change altitude drastically, and want to see how close to right we are on the tune up.

But, this coming year we changed to VP M 5 so there might be a little more heat than we've been used to. Have to pay attention.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:28 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'd never buy or use them, i'm pretty much set with NGK or autolite with running alcohol. I can remember many years ago when STP was sponsering INDY cars, there was a pic. taken showing some mechanics pooring STP in the engine and in themsame picture there was s drain pan under the egine catching it as it came out.
I agree with road kill back some yrs ago i tried a vertex mag, i was running a MSD 7 AL, the mag actually slowed dow the car a few houndreds. You only need enough fire to fire the plugs on your application. It's a little different with nitro because it's harder to light and keep lite

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -