Thread: 406 small block

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

406 small block

i have a 406 small bloch it is a gm block from the 70 s how much power can it handle thanks

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    762.86hp at 6184rpm......Just screwing with ya. Way to many variables to answer that. Can be built to handle a bucket of hp though. How much money you got is the only thing holding you back.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    The GM blocks crack real easy if you put a lot of compression in them .
    the 400 blocks not good for a lot of power.
    Well i have broke a lot of them through the years anyway.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    They can probably handle around 600 HP. i have 2 of them a 4 bolt and a 2 bolt that's in my car now on alcohol. I don't know how much HP it has but it runs 6.50's in my 3250lb Malibu with a toilet bowl, got 200/300 passes on it.
    One thing you must absolutly do is put 1/8" pipe plugs in the water holes to keep it from breaking /cracking between the head bolts i also plug the steam holes.you should also run head studs not bolts. I've ran them for 25 yrs. and the biggest problem i have had was not preparing the block deck properly. With that said i've also cracked cylinders on blocks that the casting bores was was not centered, so it's a good idea to have the block exrayed to determine the wall thickness and have the bores shifted to made the cylinder wall's more equal.

JMO

Zip.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    They can probably handle around 600 HP. i have 2 of them a 4 bolt and a 2 bolt that's in my car now on alcohol. I don't know how much HP it has but it runs 6.50's in my 3250lb Malibu with a toilet bowl, got 200/300 passes on it.
    One thing you must absolutly do is put 1/8" pipe plugs in the water holes to keep it from breaking /cracking between the head bolts i also plug the steam holes.you should also run head studs not bolts. I've ran them for 25 yrs. and the biggest problem i have had was not preparing the block deck properly. With that said i've also cracked cylinders on blocks that the casting bores was was not centered, so it's a good idea to have the block exrayed to determine the wall thickness and have the bores shifted to made the cylinder wall's more equal.

JMO

Zip.
    X2
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "