Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scooter + Mopar = LOST

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Scooter + Mopar = LOST

gents: everything I have learned about motors is SBC/BBC. I have a 1979 360 mopar in my CJ7 I got a few weeks ago. It has a mild comp energy cam, headers & 4bbl w/ intake... otherwise stock. I hear one lifter tap upon start up & it continues until warm... then goes away. I hate hearing it the on warm-up!! I removed valve cover to adjust. NO DICE. I realized these are not like adjusting a Chevy. What is the best way? I don't want to do anything that might wipe a cam lobe or something... I think cam is 260ish/480ish. Talk to me... impart your wisdom my brethren.
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"

either turn up the radio or build you a engine!!

I'm with Outlaw . . Get better speakers!

A ticking lifter on startup in a Mopar is generally OEM. It's when the rods rattle that you've got problems!

Ken-

Seriously??? Come on people... every tried to turn on a radio in a CJ w/ headers & flowmasters/mud tires??? That is like my wife trying to talk to me when I am watching Duck Dynasty... can't hear her.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Ear muffs, ear plugs, and LOUD Radio. Heck, just uncork it and REALLY enjoy the 'music' !
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    If they are Hydro there is no adjustment.Lifter is bleeding down too far.
    Head's up the true drag race!!

One of two cures. Either replace the lifters (all of 'em) or warm it up good before driving.

Honestly, back when those engines were OEM on 3/4's of the Mopars sold, probably 25% of them had that problem coming off the assembly line and most of 'em went 100k or better, still tickin' . .

But if you can still hear it (or them) when you're going down the road with all that other noise, Better fix 'em . . quick! That loud ticking is the Grenade about to go off!

Thanks RK & Mopar.

It is clearly one lifter on the passenger side. Once I have it somewhat warm, it goes away... only when it is cold (2-3 minutes). I am scared about wiping a cam if I replace a lifter(s)... or am I just being paranoid? Motor is really strong otherwise; nice healthy power, no smoke, lots of grunt.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    My shop truck is a '72 Doge 1/2 ton with a 360/727 combo with a Holley 4412. Over 100k and all I've done is a valve grind in the 20+ years I've owned it. Tows my race cars and anything else and still has lots of grunt left. ONCE in a while I'll get a lifter that won't pump up right off the bat, but it will if I shut it down, refire it and then let it warm up a tad. I don't even put it in gear until the tic tap goes away.
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

calm down scooter. if its one lifter and it quits tickin when it gets warmed up dont worryabout it. i know that easier said than done but once she builds up its fine.its when it wont quit tickin that you should worry.i got a small block been tickin for yrs. also had a 225 that had a main knockin. that thing knocked for 6 yrs and i drove that truck everywhere and hard.one of the things i dont like about fordge pistons is the rattle they make when you first crank them up...