SCAM ALERT (David Cox)

Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Missedashift
SHOW GUEST

Default SCAM ALERT (David Cox)

I was contacted today about this guy wanting to buy the car I have advertised (Ad #181810082). He would only communicate by text message from 508-834-8433 and gave his email as [email protected]. When I goggled his number I got several hits that warned of a scam attempt including this one which is almost word for word the same text I received ....

I received a text in response to an ad I placed to sell my race engine. I knew right away that it was a scam by their incorrect grammar and lack of understanding the English Language.

1st Text: "I'm Satisfied with the condition of your GM 362ci Circle Track Engine/New Custom Built as it was"

2nd Text: "Are you the owner and when did you bought it"

3rd Text: "Able to come due to the nature of my work"

4th Text: "Ok i want to buy for my dad in UK and will arrange for the pick up agent to come for the pick u on my behalf because il not be"

This is a very common scam, be aware of anyone who can't form correct sentences and doesn't ask any questions. You don't buy a $5000 engine without asking more about the specifics and actually speaking with the person.

Also, he's from the UK, but doesn't understand the Queens English. He just happens not to be available and wants to send a freight company to pick up your property. They will send someone to pick up your car, engine, ect..., most likely with a stolen or fraudulent cashiers check or money orders.

Beware.....

I am very familiar with this scam due to my Law Enforcement Training and just plain commons sense.....

I contacted Racing Junk and they recommended I post the warning here. I also contacted PayPal as that's the way he wanted to make the purchase to see what would have happened if the deal had gone down.

Thanks .... Dennis.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Spot on. Run like hell.

Love this one:

"1st Text: "I'm Satisfied with the condition of your GM 362ci Circle Track Engine/New Custom Built as it was" (he sure is confident... very believable...lol)

& this one...

"Ok i want to buy for my dad in UK and will arrange for the pick up agent to come" (because circle track motors are in such high demand in the UK)

Yeah.... makes you even wonder how someone so ignorant could even pull this off & sell it again down the road... this is probably a dude in rice-hut somewhere in Asia??? What a joke.

Good luck on a legit sale for your motor & I hope you no problems. Take care.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Missedashift
SHOW GUEST

.... we got a racecar for sale but ole David Cox is using the same text in his attempts to steal from other sellers .... area code comes up the Cape Cod area of Massachusetts.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: SCAM ALERT (David Cox)

Originally Posted by Missedashift
I was contacted today about this guy wanting to buy the car I have advertised (Ad #181810082). He would only communicate by text message from 508-834-8433 and gave his email as [email protected]. When I goggled his number I got several hits that warned of a scam attempt including this one which is almost word for word the same text I received ....

I received a text in response to an ad I placed to sell my race engine. I knew right away that it was a scam by their incorrect grammar and lack of understanding the English Language.

1st Text: "I'm Satisfied with the condition of your GM 362ci Circle Track Engine/New Custom Built as it was"

2nd Text: "Are you the owner and when did you bought it"

3rd Text: "Able to come due to the nature of my work"

4th Text: "Ok i want to buy for my dad in UK and will arrange for the pick up agent to come for the pick u on my behalf because il not be"

This is a very common scam, be aware of anyone who can't form correct sentences and doesn't ask any questions. You don't buy a $5000 engine without asking more about the specifics and actually speaking with the person.

Also, he's from the UK, but doesn't understand the Queens English. He just happens not to be available and wants to send a freight company to pick up your property. They will send someone to pick up your car, engine, ect..., most likely with a stolen or fraudulent cashiers check or money orders.

Beware.....

I am very familiar with this scam due to my Law Enforcement Training and just plain commons sense.....

I contacted Racing Junk and they recommended I post the warning here. I also contacted PayPal as that's the way he wanted to make the purchase to see what would have happened if the deal had gone down.

Thanks .... Dennis.
Thanks Dennis for sharing and Yes its an Old scam..Would like to see these guys ( scammers) get their Nutz Clipped by a Good ole Boy One day.

Keep us posted if you hear more from this clown.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Hasn't that name been here before :?:

Mark
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
trampustait
SHOW GUEST

Default David Cox

Did it to us too. He wanted to buy our sons jr. dragster for his dad in the UK. Used the same wording. When I told him I was curious as to why he wanted a jr dragster for his dad when they are designed for children his replay was that he had a dwarf dad. haha