What a great weekend at the NHRA Gatornationals

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Default What a great weekend at the NHRA Gatornationals

The wife and I flew into Orlando on Friday and drove up to Gainesville to work the DRAW (Drag Racing Association of Women) booth and get our Spring nitro fix on. The crowds at the Gainesville race are always massive and the weather was great.

Stopped by the Alanabi pits and talked to Crew Chief Brian Husen, I bought my Camaro from him a year and a half ago and its kinda cool to hang out with him when we go to the races. Talked to his driver Shawn Langdon for a bit.

There was some nice nostalgia cars setup and Don Garlits was there with one of the Swamp Rat dragster on display.

I am a lucky man to have a wife that is into drag racing, I took her as a birthday present 5 years ago and we have been going every year since. She has a NHRA flag thats she has been getting autographs on for a few years now. Did I say my wife is great?!?!?!?

They had some great old drag cars on display

After the races every year the wife and I head over to the Gulf to Cedar Key this wonderfully quiet piece of paradise for the rest of the week.
When we landed in Orlando I was supposed to get a mid-sized car as a rental, the guy talked me into upgrading to a Jeep Wrangler for a couple extra bucks a day. Well when we went to pick it up they could not find it! So after a half hour of people scrambling and the wife and I getting pissed off the counter guy stepped up, apologized for all confusion and tossed me a set of keys to an orange 2012 Camaro! Its just a V-6 but i have not had a chance to drive one yet and we have it all week.
Here is a pic of the car and the cottage we rent that is right on the ocean.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Great pics Chris, i was tuning on a B/MP 67 camero car that ran Gainsville in 1969, and the crowds were as you said full house.
I salute you, you are definately living life too the fullest, almost like in a magic kingdom.

Zip.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like a lot of fun. Orlando weather is always nice in the winter. It's in the 70's most of the winter. :lol:
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

That's cool Chris. Glad you and your wife had a good time.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Well Friday was the last day in paradise, beautiful sunrise and temps in the 70's.

The wife and I must have walked about 10 miles up and down all the streets.

Some of the old house are neat, they little shacks are called "Cracker House's" and a lot of them have been left alone on the outside but fully restored on the inside.

The nature trails and wildlife are great down here.

We got back to the cottage just in time to catch the sunset. What a great week, starting out with a Nitro fix and then 5 days of relaxing.

Came back on a plane this morning, now as I am sitting here typing all this my weather alert radio went off. Winter storm warning for tomorrow, anywhere from 4-8" of snow and blowing winds. should have stayed in Florida... :cry:

Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

JEELLLLLLoussssss...........

JUUUUUST kidding ! GREAT tourist pics, Chris ! That pelican looks like an ex girlfriend ! Not one of MY ex girlfriends ! nonononono... Thanks for sharing with us on how the 'other' half lives. :P :P :P 8) 8)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Harbone,
You done good!!!!!!! I'm glad you and your wife had a great time, and a safe trip.
There's still "money" in Cedar Key, but way back when, Cedar Key was the western terminus of one of Florida's earliest railroads. It "opened" up Cedar Key. dgh
Old 03-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by csx8506
Harbone,
You done good!!!!!!! I'm glad you and your wife had a great time, and a safe trip.
There's still "money" in Cedar Key, but way back when, Cedar Key was the western terminus of one of Florida's earliest railroads. It "opened" up Cedar Key. dgh
Yes there is deep history in that town, all other surrounding keys used to be inhabited but are now nature preserves. In the 1800's both Eberhard Faber and the Eagle Pencil Company had mills there using the abundant cedar tree population to make pencils. I have been going down there every Spring for 5 years now. I have spent a lot of time at the museum and learning about the history of the area. I really would love to move there and if all else fails retire in the area.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Bone, thanks for sharing the pictures, I know you guys had a great time.
I noticed you had a picture of Alexis. I really like her (she is a local) but have lost respect for JJ.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Great pic's...looks like you & wife had a great time. ....Makes getting on the plane to come back home real hard when your greeted by a snow storm the day you come back, to bad you couldn't have streched it out an extra week. :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -