Chassis

Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 PM
BIGBLOCKCHEV
SHOW GUEST

Default Chassis

Im building a chromoly round tube chassis and I want to run my fuel line along the chassis but Im not sure how to fasten it. I was thinking of using threaded inserts ( drill hole and install ) but Im not sure if that will do. This car will be used for street/strip.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Any time you drill a hole in tubing, you make a potential weak spot. Acceptable in none stress areas and 1/8" or smaller holes.

Alternatives are;
- Drill all the way through, welding in a small tubing for 'through' bolting

- Weld on a tab with a hole for using a multitude of available nylon or metal fasteners and clamps

- Purchasing / machining a 'double' clamping device that clamps over the chassis tubing and also captures your smaller diameter fluid tubing
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default chassis

Big,
Yella had some excellent methods, I'll add what I've done many times. In addition to drag racing, I build and fly experimental aircraft for a hobby. Go to aircraftspruce.com and then type in the search window, Adel clamp. These come in sizes by 1/16" all the way up to at least 3" in diameter. For example, MS21919-DG5 is for a 5/16" diameter tube, MS21919-DG18 is for a 1 and 1/8th diameter tube, and so on. I'm not pushing Aircraft Spruce, but just giving you a place that you can go to. There are other suppliers of aircraft grade hardware.
On your fuel line, you would use a larger diameter clamp on the chassis tubing, then put a smaller diameter clamp onto you fuel line, and secure them to each other with a short bolt. When properly sized, they fit securely on whatever they are attached to. They are much more secure, and look much better than wire ties. And no welding required, and you can move them later if you want to. They also come in heat resistant types. And like most aircraft grade hardware and fastners, they are very strong, but also as light as possible. Aircraft and race cars, have one common enemy, weight! Hope this helps you. dgh
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
BIGBLOCKCHEV
SHOW GUEST

Hey
Thanks for the info guys.Now I know what direction to go.