Boxing???

Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Boxing???

I haven't wanted to tell you guys about this b/c I am not sure if I am crazy or just in denial.... or both....seriously.

My son wanted to try boxing this year. I signed him up... he is 11 now. Every week, I took him & watched him prepare for an eventual amateur fight in a year or so. Coach says to me a few months ago: why don't you try it??? I said: because I am 42yrs OLD & been at a desk job for almost 10 yrs. OH CRAP... I JOINED. I have been sore for 2 months straight. Today I have my first semi-black eye... just after getting over "pink-eye" from the gym too. I always know where the bucket is near the ring if I have to PUKE... almost passed out last night. Trying to run on off days... I hate running. Started telling myself it is a mid life phase, I am too old, this is silly.... all the people are half my age or younger there... this kind thinking... ya know. I was just about ready to quit. Why am I telling you guys this??? Had a revelation. I CAN still do it. I have to find out what it is like to do just one amateur fight or I will never know what happened... one of life's bucket lists than does not pass by with life's challenges & excuses. Coach will set me up with a fighter of similar skill... even if I get completely BEAT DOWN, I gotta find out. My revelation is that even at 42, a man can feel liberated like a kid still if his mind & spirit are right. It will take a full year to do this... I think. I will tell you guys what happens... I am going to do it totally alone that day in case I get pummeled so my friends & family don't see it. There are things that could stop this whole idea; but so far, my doctor says I can... I signed the contact waiver... I have an okay back & knees still... no boney eyes that cut to easy... all the signs say keep going. You think it is a crazy mid-life thing?? you think I should stay the coarse????? I think it will be okay if I just do what coach says. Am I too old for this???? It started out being about my SON.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:56 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Boxing??

Scooter,
You are only too old if you think you are. Nobody is more qualified to make that call than you.
I've tried to live my life by the following saying. The worst thing that can happen to you is, when you get physically unable to do anything, and you see someone doing something that you had always wanted to try, and you say to yourself, "I wish I had done that".
You may never be a "champion", but I'll bet you already are in your son's eyes.

dgh
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Boxing???

Originally Posted by Scooterz
I haven't wanted to tell you guys about this b/c I am not sure if I am crazy or just in denial.... or both....seriously.

My son wanted to try boxing this year. I signed him up... he is 11 now. Every week, I took him & watched him prepare for an eventual amateur fight in a year or so. Coach says to me a few months ago: why don't you try it??? I said: because I am 42yrs OLD & been at a desk job for almost 10 yrs. OH CRAP... I JOINED. I have been sore for 2 months straight. Today I have my first semi-black eye... just after getting over "pink-eye" from the gym too. I always know where the bucket is near the ring if I have to PUKE... almost passed out last night. Trying to run on off days... I hate running. Started telling myself it is a mid life phase, I am too old, this is silly.... all the people are half my age or younger there... this kind thinking... ya know. I was just about ready to quit. Why am I telling you guys this??? Had a revelation. I CAN still do it. I have to find out what it is like to do just one amateur fight or I will never know what happened... one of life's bucket lists than does not pass by with life's challenges & excuses. Coach will set me up with a fighter of similar skill... even if I get completely BEAT DOWN, I gotta find out. My revelation is that even at 42, a man can feel liberated like a kid still if his mind & spirit are right. It will take a full year to do this... I think. I will tell you guys what happens... I am going to do it totally alone that day in case I get pummeled so my friends & family don't see it. There are things that could stop this whole idea; but so far, my doctor says I can... I signed the contact waiver... I have an okay back & knees still... no boney eyes that cut to easy... all the signs say keep going. You think it is a crazy mid-life thing?? you think I should stay the coarse????? I think it will be okay if I just do what coach says. Am I too old for this???? It started out being about my SON.

Scooter...THATS AWESOME !!!..Won't try and highjack your thread but I boxed on the amatuer level for over 10 years and held My S.C. Atheletic Boxing commision license during that time. If I can give you any advise on the sport that applies to all ages and levels...Cardio,Cardio, Cardio and More Cardio did I say Cardio...develope a good Jab and keep it in his face and Move, Move,Move...the Cardio will take care of this..I am sure your trainer has already went over the baseline with you...Just keeping it short and simple here....If you want for me to share more on where I trained, My fights ( including two tough men contest) shoot me a Pm or we can hash both Our experience on the open forum..its your thread and You driving here Bro...

Good Sport...Proud of you and your Son.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

CSX: You said it... fear of not trying something & not doing it when it is too late. That is the question... is it too late... or can I pull this off still. I really don't know... but I want to find out ... even if I get beaten to a pulp. I guess the worst thing is that I could get in really good shape.

Juice: I knew that if I made this post, someone on here would have some experience & relate. I was a little shy to do it b/c I have never done it & am kinda old for just getting started. I need to loose about 35 more pounds to be really good shape. I am loosing more inches than weight right now. Coach says he needs me to be consistent & I will be sparring in a ring that is 2ft shorter & 2ft less wide so I don't get lazy... light sparring right now. Cardio is killer. Man it is absolutely killer. I run on off days... but not enough yet (only a 1.5 mi). I can do it w/o stopping. Upper cuts & hooks seem weird... totally goofy & unnatural to me right now. Working slower w/ flat gloves to get form down. Pretty good @ keeping chin down, breath through nose, keeping groves up @ chin... even my feet get cramps in the stance for long time. Not too good at double end bag yet either. Don't feel like you are hijacking... I brought it up for a reason & want feedback for sure.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

You go Brother! I know to many of my friends that hit 40 years old and just turned to mush, never do anything active and have no energy. Now I am not the fittest person in the world but I keep myself busy in the yard almost ever weekend, I shouldnt say yard, more like forest! I walk my dog 2 miles every morning before I go to work and drive my wife nuts cause when I do have down time, I never can sit still!
Its not a mis-life crisis, more like a mid-life awakeing! Go out and just have fun, sometimes that means bruises and sore muscles but thats what its all about!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Midlife awakening!!! Yes. It is a different focus... it is more than training for a fight... not succumbing to older age & potential heart disease. Good attitude Harb... those things will serve you well in the long run too. Dogs are great for exercise accountability.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

YOU GO BRO ! Have ya ever thought just how many folks actually started 'living their dream' after that GREAT movie came out ? "Bucket list"
What an inspiration...I also need to get some CARdio going on ! Really, at the very least quick walking for me. I used to run cross country years ago and do miss being in shape. Knees and hips are going away now.
Keep us updated, Scoot ! Maybe a pic or 2 in training action !
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Awesome Scoot. Boxing is truly an Art not to be confused with fighting. I no longer participate in the ART form of boxing but I still work my hands mainly on heavy bag. All jabs and short hooks. I have always said a man needs to stay as sharp as he can just because you never know. As I said above a man that can develope a good quick stiff jab can get the job done in the square as well as self defense. Most people think hard over hand rights and hooks is the only knockout when in fact a quick left hand produces more flash knockouts in the square than any one punch it can also be devastating as self defense on the street...and man old man what a Body shot will do. My signature punch was a left jab/hook almost one motion in my prime.it was most effective because it was quick and a very unexpected punch. As you probably know already a large part of the power is GOD given talent in the form of explosive FAST TWITCH muscle fiber best I can describe it for those unfamiliar is BRUCE LEE. 135 lbs but could generate so much speed on his punches from 6 inches away it was un-real. This cannot be learned you possess this or you don't not to mention it doesn't take knuckle dragging right hands to knock a man out. Actually lot less than one would think when solid contact is made on the mandible jaw nerve...lol... Forgive any spelling on my cell.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Well I am glad you guys don't think I am nuts! Good support. Thanks for that. DD: you are still in pretty good shape- you don't look like you have much body fat. I started this all by walking first; then running. I still have some gut to loose... I saw pretty big results in one month. dropped 2" on my waist... you could do special workout & not beat up knees & hips.

Juice: I don't know about speed much yet; because I am still in the articulation stages & the coach is always slowing me down so I get the movements right. Learning about not "telegraphing" my punches... the uppercut was explained to me in an "automotive" analogy... (clutch) I lower, pivot my body & come up (like a letting out/slipping clutch) & dump it around the chin level.... I thought that was a good way to understand. Bruce was a bad azz.... he was amazing. Coach told me that boxing will actually help me separate the anger from the actual boxer/ring... I asked him about the mental part & anger... I thought I might struggle with this some. I accidentally hit a trainer w/ my right jab on flat pads (grazed side & hit him in the eye area)... felt really bad. He did not get mad at all... said he was not paying attention enough. These guys are really disciplined mentally & physically.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

UPDATE:

Last class I went to yesterday & my assignment was to learn to to breathe when hit in the body. They had a 23 yr old (experienced) girl (not bad looking) hit me repeatedly (mostly hooks & straights I think) while I wore a padded apron that is tied on... & a strap on cup too in case she had an accidental low blow. 1 minute circuits; 3 of them total. I was not aloud to throw anything... just put my left arm out so she would have to slip & pick.... otherwise I could just block w/ my hands up in front mostly face area. I learned to breathe alright... pretty quick... my mouth piece came flying out once too.

She went to work on me. I have never been turned on & humiliated at the same time... weird feeling... I think that girl enjoyed beating me up. Have a great weekend. Scooter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -