351 Cleveland 2v dog???

Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
zcliff
SHOW GUEST

Default 351 Cleveland 2v dog???

Hi all new here I just bought a 1973 Mach 1 from a buddy that owned the car for 10 years. Car was restored then and only driven 3,000 miles since he owned the car. Body is perfect the choke was a screwed up and thanks to my brother in law Bill Ritchie from Bill Ritchie's auto electric he got this thing running now and will even squeal the tires. It never done it with my buddy he is about 75 and never really worked on the motor.
Question is it's a 351 C. with a 2 barrel and from what I understand the oil filter is from the truck 351 C to fit???
I was wondering how to beef it up intake 4 v holley and etc. May consider cam and new 4 v aluminum heads maybe a elderbrock kit or something, Problem is I must keep in mind the ram air and carb height.
Any ideas scrap and start new?? Like to hear some ideas where to start. The body is perfect and interior needs a little TLC it's white with 3/4 white vinyl top with tilt steering all kind of rare.
Thanks for any ideas,
larry
Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

they are a few and far between but that arent all that rare. i know where 2 are sittin right now.as far as the 351c. my mom had one in a 73 mach 1 back yrs ago. it was a dog.she sold it to a girl who had someone build it up some and it run good then. first thing they did was new cam, intake and a holley 600.then laster they did change heads but i dont remember what they used.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM
zcliff
SHOW GUEST

my concern was with the stock 351c 2v VS vs 351c 4v which one is easier to tweak.
From what I have been reading some aluminum intakes will work on 2v heads and 4 v heads and some won't.
I guess my best bet would be a cam and heads and intake with a 600 or 650 Holley. My last car was a 61 ford with a built 460 motor the guy made claims of nearly 500hp. One thing is this Cleveland 2v is half that,, this car is so slow it's embarrassing.
In regards to rarity I was referring to the 3/4 Vinyl top and tilt, since I live here in the Motor City I have car clubs every night at many locations and never seen a Vinyl top yet. A customer of the shop with a 1973 Mach 1 convertible told me how rare this was.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

You're probably going to have to scare up a set of 4V heads or find a set of aftermarket 4Vs . . The 2V intake ports are about half the size of both the Boss 302 heads and the 4V Clevelands . . A stock 4V manifold (if you can find one) will bolt on but the effects of the port mismatch would probably be worse than just putting on a bigger 2V Carb . .

The "Cleveland" was a hell of a good idea . . 30 years ago . . .

Postscript here . .

Be careful when buying "Cleveland" heads . . Make sure they're either "Cleveland 4Vs" or a true set of Boss 302s. In the last few years, I've seen three sets of "Boss 302's" that weren't "Sets' . . The Boss 302 heads were directional, right and left, no water passage into the intake on the back, and you need to look and make sure you have a "Set" and not two lefts or two rights . . Cleveland's on the other hand could be used on the right or left. They have water passages on both ends . . .

Dunno how many people out there know stuff like that 30 years later . . .
Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

What's amazing is that you even retained that info ! Stuff I sure didn't know !
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
zcliff
SHOW GUEST

Thanks so much for the heads up,LOL So if I buy a set of after market Cleveland 4v aluminum heads then I will be all set or the cast iron true Cleveland 4v heads. I have a couple pretty good places to look for these in the area.
Again big thanks,
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

damn roadkill, you suprise me! lol funny i CAN remember 30yrs ago but i cant remember what i did last wk.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Zcliff i was on ebay and ran aross these 4v cleveland heads with 1day 22hrs left to bid. #150894915105 check them out these might be what your looking for. Good luck
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
damn roadkill, you suprise me! lol funny i CAN remember 30yrs ago but i cant remember what i did last wk.

Ditto . . . .
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
sockos
SHOW GUEST

The 2 barrel heads are ok for the street.Maybe upper 400's hp with the right parts, after that I'd go with the 4 barrels heads. The intake valves measure 2.05 on the 2v and 2.19 on the 4v. (I believe). They are both big.
73 was the start of the big time pollution motors, so you have to change cam,intake,carb,timing set, and change the rockers over to an adjustable roller set up. The rockers on that motor are notorious power robbers.
It will never pull like a 460 but it should be respectable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -