Thread: Battery Disconnect

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Battery Disconnect

Like all race cars, I have the battery wired through a external (on the fender) disconnect switch. I would like to be able to shut down the batteries from my seat as well. Lokar makes a disconnect that attaches to the shofter but it looks like it uses another big switch, I would like to run the hot side to a switch so that both switches have to be on. Anybody got any ideas?

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    If something happens, there needs to be one switch outside to turn everything off! You could run a rod to the existing switch that would turn the switch off and on from two places, inside and out.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    AGREED, or a push/pull cable( available online )

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22p...ient=firefox-a

---------------------------------
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Affirmative, on the cable! :wink:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    I have a Moroso master cut off switch on the back and I have one of these to turn on / off power inside.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/STI...120903225046:s

Yep, as long as outside turns off everything surely would work.
    I was thinking about a dragster I had once, and it was setup to use the same switch with a rod running to it from outside behind the rear and another to the driver compartment. Don't have one in my present car, but may look into it with a switch like that! Thanks

Are you using this switch to disconnect power to the ignition, such as a Painless type switch, or the leads from the battery itself?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    I dont use a manufactured switch panel. I made mine and use relays to power water pump, fan, fuel pump,etc. This switch kills all power at my terminal strip. It kills power to everything when i hit it. I also have a seperate ignition switch so i can turn the motor over then flip ignition on after motor is turning over. The kill switch is mounted just in front of my shifter.

You could use it in line to cut power off / on to a switch panel very easy. I dont like having to fumble around in an emergeny situation trying to find a small kill switch thats mounted in a switch panel.

I use a panel from Digital Delay. Very nice. Like the one you built, it has relays and is fused. I think I am going to go with your idea and mount the kill button as conspicuos as possible. Excuse the spelling.