Fire problem - Need help.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
turbotom11
SHOW GUEST

Default Fire problem - Need help.

i've called numerous shops and talked to tons of people because this problem is very unheard of.. I need some kind of help or advice.

foxbody mustang , turbo car , carborated , pump gas.. thats pretty much that basics of the car. About 2 months ago i went to take it for a quick cruise to the gas station , at the traffic light down my street i was stopped at. On top of the valve covers are two "crank case" filters .. like breathers.. The passenger one actually caught on fire. I myself have never heard of this problem and not really sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Blowby fumes ignited by hot exhaust and entrapped under the tight confines of a hood. Were you on it hard and aggressive just prior to that stop light ? Is the turbo on the side that lit ?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
turbotom11
SHOW GUEST

No i wasnt even on it. I let the car warm up for a few mins in my drive way. Cruised down the road and thats when it happened. Car wasn't even close to seeing boost. The turbo is on the driver side and the fire happened to the passenger side valve cover filter.

[quote="DrivingMissDD"] Blowby fumes ignited by hot exhaust and entrapped under the tight confines of a hood. Were you on it hard and aggressive just prior to that stop light ? Is the turbo on the side that lit ? [/quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Must have some serious pressure w/ blow-by fumes (like DD said) to where even a arching plug wire could have ignited it. Plug wires should be checked for ohms/arching... if they are crossed, touching etc... I wonder if you need a better breather/vacuum evac system?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
turbotom11
SHOW GUEST

yeah thats what i was thinking. i'm trying to upload a pic of the engine bay. I have one on my desktop but dont have photobucket or anything to upload it with.....

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Must have some serious pressure w/ blow-by fumes (like DD said) to where even a arching plug wire could have ignited it. Plug wires should be checked for ohms/arching... if they are crossed, touching etc... I wonder if you need a better breather/vacuum evac system?