Thread: 400 SBC head gasket

400 SBC head gasket

I am at the point where i need to decide on a head gasket for my bracket motor.

It;s a 400 + 0.30, factory 509 block with brodix alum. heads. An honest 12.5 compression ratio computed with a .41 head gasket.
    N/A, no power adders no steam holes in the heads
    I am thinking a Fel pro 1003 should be adequate for a 600 hp level, but I would like to hear some opinions

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I run the same motor with Brodix track 1's except more compression. i would not run a 400 blok without using head studs vs bolts. In fact i have 2 400 blks and both are studded. I also use felpro gaskets.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Be careful with those sbc factory 400 blocks!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    We run that same gasket on a 406 that has an honest 15-1 static CR. Stock block, alum head, with studs. This motor made 702hp. Not sure how happy the dyno was but it runs low 9.40s in a 2850lb nova, shifting at 6400, leaving at 3800. It is injected on alcohol. Watch your tuneup at that hp level using a stock block. Some people get away with running them some don't. We had ours sonic tested to make sure there were no thin spots.

This was a 2bolt block with splayed caps installed.

Curtis