Thread: glowing header

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER

glowing header

just put a used motor i bought in my pulling truck 460 bbc started it up for the first time tonight and after a minute or two the header was getting red can timing do this (haven't timed in yet] or is it more fuel related? thanks eric
    if something goes wrong there is always the cooler!!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    More than likely it is timing. If it did this just idling I really dont think it is fuel related.JMO
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Timing can certainly do this
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

X2 on timing, prob.. retarded, i would check the carb also, just to make sure you don't have a lean condition, but most likely timing retarded.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

glowing header

dont kn ow if i got this right , buy a while ago on one of the forums someone said that if there is too much gas dumping in it would burn out into the headers and make them glow. this may sound crazy, but positive i resd it. art

Member CRAFTSMAN
    I had the same thing happen once, both the timing and....myself were way to retarded. I would check the timing.
    This wouldn't have happened if only you had been paying attention!

well guys ive had the same problem for awhile. sbc 11.1 tunnelram.ive checked the timing and even tried it at different #s.ive been told its runnin to lean and ive been told its runnin too rich.so its been sittin in the shop for awhile.i want to drive this damn car again.if it were the timing seems bnoth headers would glow.not just one.any of you guys live close by.lol

I have seen a case, where it was caused by improper, valve lash setting.

Aha! Now we're getting someplace . . ONLY one bank is heating . . and . . . Which holes are the hottest?

Just a guess here, but I'd say you have a malfunctioning carb. Lean on one side . .

IF . . the engine (or Headers) on both sides heat equally, it's probably retarded timing (12-18, that's a bunch) but only one side, that's fuel supply . . again, My guess . . and that might also depend upon the kind of intake manifold you have. That's why you need to look at which cylinders are the hottest . .

Heh, heh, just remember, as a "CONSULTANT" I have no responsibility for knowledge or outcome of the situation in which I've "Consulted"!