Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump shutoff

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Fuel pump shutoff

I would like to shut down the fuel pump in case I loose oil pressure.
    how do I do that? Thanks......

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    you should only have to put a kill switch on it. im not aware of any "automatic" setup that will sense the pressure loose and do it for you but i might be wrong :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Holley part #12-810.Bill.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmeabates
    Holley part #12-810.Bill.

Yep, and here is one and a list of several others.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...fety-Switches/

You should be able to tie any oil pressure sending unit to a relay used to break the ground to the fuel pump. Should need to be too expensive.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Olds,A normal oil light swith closes when pressure drops.These fuel pump swithes open on a drop.Just a thought.Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by wmeabates
    Olds,A normal oil light swith closes when pressure drops.These fuel pump swithes open on a drop.Just a thought.Bill.
    True. wire the relay so that the when the oil light switch closes it applies 12v,which will activate the relay. Wire the fuel pump ground through the normally closed set of contacts on the relay.That way when the relay activates it will open the normally closed contacts,therefore killing the path to ground.Using it this way the relay is "off" under normal conditions,rather than relying on something to be powered up continuously. Seems like less of a load,so more reliable to me. Thats what i had in mind at least.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Just thinking out loud, it might be better to kill the ignition instead of the fuel pump. You can do a lot of damage until you run out of fuel.
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Olds,That would work.It still might need a relay for the pos.wire.Dave the oil pressure switch will kill the fuel pump if the motor stalls or someone is sliding down the track on there side.Bill.

If you break the ground it should cut off. It can't run without both. Of course,I know that you understand that.Just saying. I think he wants to kill the fuel just to prevent a spill or prevent a damaged hose/line from spewing-that sort of thing. I didn't understand it to be a means to kill the engine. If that was the idea,then yeah,kill the spark instead. Doing both is a great idea,too.