Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aviation fuel

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

aviation fuel

can i run aviation fuel in a sbc with 11:1 with same carb and same set up for gasoline

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    You'll probably need to go up a couple of jet sizes.

TS1955

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If you're set up for 100-110 octane, you shouldn't have to change anything. Dunno which "Avaition Fuel" you're gonna be using. There's several grades of AVGas.

i run the same jetting in my drag car... for both fuels 112 and av gas(100LL) and the car runs the same :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

ok i would run the 100 low lead

running low lead kinda helps defeat the purpose. we ran av gas back in the 70s. 112 or 115 dont remember but it also had a high lead content which our heads at the time needed.ran a 12.5 .1 327 tunnelrammed with a 4 speed. . ran that same engine on the street and strip. and i drove it hard. sold the car in 89 and it ran as strong as when i first built it,

Honestly, if you're going to buy something other than "Pump Gas" (which is available in some areas as Sunoco 110 or 112 octane) You're far better off buying and using racing gasoline of your octane choice. The quality is better and you always know what you're getting . . Thus your "Tune Up" is consistent . .

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill2
    You're far better off buying and using racing gasoline of your octane choice. The quality is better and you always know what you're getting . . Thus your "Tune Up" is consistent . .
    i really dont think that the quality of race fuel is better then the quality of someone 10k plus feet off the ground....lmao :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Even the LL contains 1.2 to 2 grams TEL per gallon. As far as running it, with 11 to 1 you will be quite safe as long as you jet it correctly. And avgas has very good vaporization characteristics which is a good thing, if you get some do a test. Find a piece of metal to put some on along with some pump gas and if you have some racing gas. See which one vaporizes first, and which leave deposits that don't vaporize. Any that don't will be very difficult for the engine to burn. Depending on what you run currently for fuel you may need to jet up one or two jet sizes.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

jmarksdragster- good point

i would run race gas but 7-8 bucks a gallon compared to 5 bucks for av (here in wi) is quite a bit for a broke man like myself