Outside opinions needed on deposit taken...

Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 AM
lodilobo
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Outside opinions needed on deposit taken...

I have a block for sale here, and have had at least 50 interested parties since posting. A guy out of N.C. called me, and was hot to buy the block, so I told him I needed a deposit. He gave me a deposit of $100.00 through paypal, which is fairly safe, but it became $96.00 after the transaction....no big deal. That was over a month ago. His intention was to pick the block up, here in Ohio, as he is a truck driver, and comes this way frequently. Well, he still hasn't picked the block up, and I have even offered to get a shipping coast for him through engineshipping.com, but no response. I asked him to email me his address, so I could get him an accurate shipping cost, but still have not heard from him. As soon as he made the down payment, I flagged the ad "deal pending". I have passed up at least 10 legitimate buyers since he gave me his deposit. At this point I'm ready to relist the ad, and return his deposit. Does anyone think this is unreasonable? I don't want to end up on this forum as being a scammer....collecting deposits and then selling the item to someone else.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default /?

Its been a Month,MOVE ON!
Just Reverse the Payment on Pay-Pal and CALL it a Day!!!!
Later
G 8)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

unless you told him it was non-refundable just give him back $96 and sell it to someone

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default deposit

based on your info, it would be reasonable to sell it to someone else. I agree with Bone as long as you did not tell him it was non refundable it should be returned ($96) JMO
Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree move on and sell it to another buyer :!: :!:

Mark
Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 AM
Gimmethakick
SENIOR BUILDER

If he ties your part up for over a month that would be non-refundable to me and with the lack of communication from him he shouldn't expect a refund.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Tell him you will be forced to sell it if he does not reply to you. In the end he will get his $ back through paypal anyways, so your better off sending it to him.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

send the money back thru paypal and walk away from this deal--THEN SELL IT TO SOMEONE ELSE 8)
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
sbu
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: Outside opinions needed on deposit taken...

Originally Posted by lodilobo
I have a block for sale here, and have had at least 50 interested parties since posting. A guy out of N.C. called me, and was hot to buy the block, so I told him I needed a deposit. He gave me a deposit of $100.00 through paypal, which is fairly safe, but it became $96.00 after the transaction....no big deal. That was over a month ago. His intention was to pick the block up, here in Ohio, as he is a truck driver, and comes this way frequently. Well, he still hasn't picked the block up, and I have even offered to get a shipping coast for him through engineshipping.com, but no response. I asked him to email me his address, so I could get him an accurate shipping cost, but still have not heard from him. As soon as he made the down payment, I flagged the ad "deal pending". I have passed up at least 10 legitimate buyers since he gave me his deposit. At this point I'm ready to relist the ad, and return his deposit. Does anyone think this is unreasonable? I don't want to end up on this forum as being a scammer....collecting deposits and then selling the item to someone else.
What I would do is take the time and trouble to send him a regristried letter given him 10 days to respond , and in this letter give him a date that you expect the block to either be picked up. Why do this , one he may be sick, he could have been in a hospital, anything could have happened. The world will tell you that you should keep his money, but this is not the way to do business, I waited on a man for seven years to pick up a motor that I built for him , and in the end sent him two letters, gave him a set numbers days ,told him if he did not reply I would sell and keep all the money and that is what I did ,and have never heard from him again. Now This was me, you have to do what you feel is best for you, but out of your goodness, do what is right in your eyes, and the eyes of God. It's only money, your honesty will always be rewarded, if not in this world ,but in the world to come. Most level headed people would not consider you a crook, but remember he may be sick, or even dead.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 PM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

Default money

give him his money back, right thing to do. on another note the reply above said he waited 7 years for a guy to pickup an engine........really????so this built engine sat around for 7 years???