Thread: To much carb?

Moderator RACING JUNKIE Harbone's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To much carb?

The car I just bought has a Quick Fuel Technologies 950cfm carb on it. The part# is a Q950 and according to the website this is a drag race carb. I havent ran the car much since bringing it home, since it was cold and I tore the interior out to restore as soon as it was in the garage. The car starts right up but I noticed yesterday as I let it sit outside and warm up to burn the moisture out of the exhaust that it smells REALLY rich at idle! The car isnt missing or fouling plugs, its a 454 bored over .30 with 9.5:1 compression pistons, 781 heads with 2.19 and 1.88 valves, manley valve springs and some mild port work. 565 lift cam. The intake I do believe is a Torker. The car seems like it runs well but the fuel smell is almost unbearable! Can I "detune" this carbs idle setup enough or am I better off pulling it off the motor and finding a more "streetable" carb?
    Chris

As close to "Normal" as I can get...

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    What is the elevation above sea level was this car tuned for, and what is YOUR elevation ?
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Blog Entries
    It was tuned to run at the track at Indy, its way to rich for a street car with my setup according to all the carb calculators I have tried.
    Chris

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR bixblk's Avatar

carbs are tricky

Bone
    Tricky question
    I think that carb will work QF's are pretty flexible for tuning.
    I have had about a dozen BBC street strip motors, from 396 to 540's I have ran 750 vac carbs, 750 DP's, 850 DP's 1050's 2 and 3 ckt etc.
    Many folks on here have more experience than me,but I think you can "detune" or set that one up.
    As far as the carb calculators I have no faith in the ones I have used, they always came in at way under the CFM I thought I would need.
    your motor seems to be lower compression but still may move alot of air. based on the previous owner reputation.
    I would "play" with the carb you have.
    Again just my opinion, but as you know we have some slick guys on here they may know better than me.
    Good Luck
    Jeff M.
    PS I have asked about carbs issues on this forum and got great advise

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Hey Bone's, you didn't say if it was 4150 base or a 4500 base carb? If you have a 4500 base i don't know if you have room for an adaptor plate to a 4150 base carb/hood clearance.The cam you have is actually smaller than a LS7 stock cam. I would think for the street a 750 carb would be perfect, but the choice between a vacuum secondary would be how much vacuum you can pull, so i would suggest a 750 double pumper with progressive linkage, play around with the cams and i'm sure you'll be happy. if you decide to go vacuum secondary then use a 4.0 power valve.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    i think 950 is alot for that setup..... :? i would say the same as zipper 750-800 dp would be perfect :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Blog Entries
    Zip I am pretty sure its a 4150 base. Its a shame cause its a really nice carb and if I was going to the track all the time I could probably make it work but this is going to be a street car 99% of the time so I need something more compatible.

Thanks guys!
    Chris