Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bbc heads?

bbc heads?

i picked up a 68 427 closed chamber pistons... 12.5 comp with 109 cc chambers.... i would like to find a decent set of aluminum heads for the vega... this is a drag car only.... any sugestions would be helpful... thanks ..caveman.... :shock:

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Might be tough finding heads to work with the closed chamber pistons. Edelbrock has some heads that still work. Other wise change pistons and get a set of AFR heads
    Competition Engines & Hardcore Engine Parts
    www.cnc-motorsports.com
    info@cnc-motorsports.com

that is what i was thinking... i was hoping that there was a company that made "l-88" style after market replacements... they were about 109cc.... but either way looks like to make any power it's going to be costley!!!!!! lol thanks for your in-put.... caveman :shock:

i'm not real good with the comp math... if i have a 12.5 closed chamber piston and i use a open chamber head....119cc... what would my total compression be??....could i run pump gas and maybe get close to 500 hp?? thanks caveman........... :? just want my car to run 10.30.....

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

?

That will Drop the Comp Ratio to about 11.2.
    You could probably get away with Premium Fuel,but the 500HP?
    NOT Likely,but with a GOOD Head and Cam,ITS Possible!
    Later
    G 8)

hey bbchevy.... thanks for the reply... every body seems to be pointing to replacing the pistons with open chamber one to get the comp up.... what kind of open chamber pistons would you suggest? it is a 060 427 with stock stroke... what elese would i need to make those numbers? thanks caveman

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

BBC

I'd sell what I had and get a 2 bolt 454 block and stroke it to 496. Easy power and better resale later.

But that's just me.

thanks mark for the reply... got a good short block... its going in a vega... i just wan't to run around 10;30's...and be almost bullet proof..lol...thanks caveman :?

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I had a motor like that in a 3100 lb nova.Nothing special,.030 over 12.9 to 1,ls6 iron heads,flat tappet cam.strip dominator,750 carb.Ran 10.50s.I don't think You will any problem doing what to do.Bill.

thanks bill....not trying to be a "pro stock" lol trying to keep cost down and have a decent time to... thanks caveman