Wanted: space frame v8 or rotary circuit racer for Australia

Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM
racerecar
SHOW GUEST

Default Wanted: space frame v8 or rotary circuit racer for Australia

Hello all, I'm searching for a car for racing in Australia.

Looking for a tube frame chassis, leight weight 2000lbs or less, big hp v8 (must be max 6ltr) or 13b or 20b rotary.

I have done a lot of searching and the only similar car that fits the description is a GT 2 car etc. There is a 3rd generation GT2 rx7 for sale on rj but the power to weight ratio bothers me as it's a bit on the heavy side of things.
So, what are my options ? Can't be a stock motor etc needs to be wild !

I don't want to go to the bother of importing a car from the USA to Australia and race it here and find out it's a bit of a heavy dud of a car-not fit for purpose etc.
I have spoken to many people when discussing their cars for sale on rj and they have told mr about which cars they can pass. This does not mean much as the tracks in the USA are bigger and longer than in Aust.

The other option is a truck, but it would want to be leight weight on big hp, not just crate 350cu motor.
I searched through some of the NASCAR style cars and they are really heavy!
What's the deal with race cars in USA ?

In Australia we have many series that we can race in, using very modified leight weight and big hp cars.

What are my options in the US market place ?

Cheers
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Wanted: space frame v8 or rotary circuit racer for Austr

Originally Posted by racerecar
What's the deal with race cars in USA ?
We like lots of steel tubing surrounding us.

In Australia we have many series that we can race in, using very modified leight weight and big hp cars.

What are my options in the US market place ?
Other than Super Stock/Late Model oval track cars and the road racing GT class cars, it might be better to build or buy one from Oz, by the time you ship it over and all.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
racerecar
SHOW GUEST

Thanks DrivingmissDD! Yes we like steel tubing also . Ha ha.But that can't add to too much weight ? Btw you are up early or a very late night. it's 4pm here, I didn't expect a reply so soon.

Shipping Is easy from USA to Aust and the left hand drive is perfect for our left hand circuits.

I am looking for a turn key package, so many rollers available on rj? Do people prefer to keep their motors and move on ?

Any other ideas ? I'm checking new most recent posts for new adds daily. Not a lot available here in oz, been searching for 4-5 months solid. Came across this rj classifieds site when discussing shipping options with my US/Aust shipping guy.

Are the trucks all heavy? Or are there some variations ?

Cheers
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 AM
racerecar
SHOW GUEST

For example : http://www.racingjunk.com/Late-Model...-to-race-.html

How would this car go ? Is this a modified engine with plenty of hp? Or is it relatively stock ? Can the gears on the TEX transmission be changed easily on the outlet to suit ratios of tracks or is the winters quick change rear for better ratio changes ?

I guess what im asking is.... What would be the lightest and quickest car I should be searching for ? which category. Ps GT1 is out of our budget

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I'm finding that the NASCAR NW Tour series is no longer. I'd suggest contacting the seller of that turnkey Ex NW Tour car for pics and info. Looks like a well built car.
The trans is not easily changed internally, thats why the teams have a 2 or 3 'spares' with different ratios. Any gear changing is done with the Quick Change.
When I crewed on a Winston West team in '93, We ran the exact same car as Cup except 9:1 engines and 200 lb lighter(3700 lbs). As in Cup we ran 9" Fords and it'd take 3 guys 10 minutes to change the punkin.( I was the guy R&Ring the punkin with a guy on each side pulling the axles, full floater)

Northwest Tour Classifieds;

http://www.racingwest.com/classifieds/index.php/1/
Old 12-30-2011, 11:43 AM
racerecar
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info, I'll get in touch with the seller of that car and see what it's like.

But gee 3700lbs is a bit on the heavy side don't you think or is this the general weight of cars I need to expect ?

On the west coast site there is a ASA WEST COAST TRUCK selling by LARRY Cross. Maybe another one to check out.

Cheers.