PRO COMP ? WHY DOES ANYONE BUY THAT STUFF ?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 PM
edspring1
APPRENTICE

Default PRO COMP ? WHY DOES ANYONE BUY THAT STUFF ?

1st Let me say I have only purchased 1 Pro Comp item. It was a electric water pump for BBC. While re-filling the coolant system after the install I noticed what turned out to be the shaft seal leaking coolant. {never even turned the pump on} After many phone calls to the suppiler and two {2}more defective pumps with the same issue. All 3 went into the trash. The supplier would NOT refund, and had no contact # for me to talk with the actual company. I am proud to say that my new CRS pump has worked perfectly since day one. May have been 200 more, but how much was it worth for my car to set for 7 weeks while all this went on ? This pump ordeal and all the Pro Comp stuff I have read about makes me wonder. What kind of people are buying this junk ? And what are their results ? The distributors, heads, intakes, etc etc all have bad castings, and one of a kind parts. The Ozzy's won't claim the brand name, they say its all made in New Zeland. Who really knows were this crap is made ? Has anyone ever tried to contact the actual company ? {not the importer or supplier} I know a bunch of guys are going to say the heads are good just don't buy them complete. Use other componets to complete the heads. The point is....the castings are junk ! The distributor parts will not exchange with any other brand names unlike MSD, Mallory, Accel, OEM. Can you imagine being broke down away from home and a ign mod go out and walk into a parts store and actually getting a new mod for a Pro Comp dist. ? I have a few friends that have tried to use this stuff. And I may add unsuccessfully. Any type of improved performance or reliability is out the window. What you get is mashed up valve seats if they don't drop out, miss-aligned rocker studs, uneven combustion chamber CC's, and a lot of parts that just aren't worth the time or trouble to install. Lets not talk about :?: the real possibilties of piston damage or worse. AND forget the point of getting any real performance out of any item they make. After seeing the actual difference on my engine builders dyno time after time I see absolutely no reason to purchase any item that carries the Pro Comp sticker. NOW I am noticing that there seems to be shops {mainly} offering heads without the Pro Comp name. They say they are not Pro Comps but when pushed for a true answer some will tell you they are cast by the same foundry but pressure cast opposed to sand cast. Sorry I don't believe that crap for a second.
Now I hear they are making crankshafts....LOL Geeez they can't make aluminum correctly now they are messing with crankshafts ?
Think about this for a second. In 2 yrs. from now when the market is flooded with these unreliable cheap non functioning parts
Your going to purchase a cosmetically really nice vehicle.
It has some stroked engine in it that the seller isn't sure of brand names parts used. Or honest enought to tell you. If it had PC heads on it atleast thats something you can see and take care of. But a crank ? Or maybe a oil pump ? They are already making timing chain sets.
So who has actually spoken with Pro Comp the company ?
Where do you go, or who do you talk to when PC items fail ?
Who has had any Pro Comp item that has out performed, or even performed as well, as one of the major brand names we are all used to hearing ? {spec for spec}
Longivity I won't even get into.
I guess it will be trans parts next.
I am not a rich guy ! But I see no value at all in anything PC makes. I may have to wait and save a while longer but atleast I know all my purchases are worth the money. AND ! I have the mfgr. I can talk with if needed for any reason. I don't like to discredit anyone. But this PC stuff is really going to be a problem in more ways than one.
Any thoughts ? Any answers ?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

not trying to be a dick....but I thing you need to look no farther than you decision to buy there water pumps for the answer......good parts aint cheap....cheap parts aint good... :roll:
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

you get what you pay for.period. youwant cheap you get cheap.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

You said yourself that your friends have used pc stuff with problems so why did you buy it? :? You get what you pay for and it sounds like it cost you more than if you would have just bought csr pump to start with.

I bought a new CSR pump off RJ for 200.00 just got to look and even seen some used ones that looked good also for half the price.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

My pro comp water pump is running like a champ after 2 seasons ... my csr pumps havent lasted over 2 seasons yet. Like anything they all break .. good news is your out 100 bucks .. I am out 300 and another 100 for the 2nd motor :wink:
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

( Quote)

Here is the direct link to the Importer in Ca.

1-909-605-1129 ProComp America,

Go to accounting or sales and they will direct you to the person in charge of returns and it cost nothing to return the item they will pay the shipping, and send you another.

Accounting is run by Charlotte, and Victoria,

Victoria and her husband run the American part of ProComp.
Victoria is the sister in law of the Austrailian owner and i've talked to both her and the owner many times, being a dealer for over 7 yrs., i've sold well over 100 distributors, with a problem with 5 of them. The modul is a stock HEI and interchangable. I've sold about a doz sets of heads, but do not sell them assembled. I won't sell them for racing but only street use., No issues with the heads YET. I don't sell much, no ads, only word of mouth. In your defense i will say that you can't run their parts any harder than a stock OEM replacment part from autozone.
As Hammertime says i've also sold a few water pumps with no issues YET. I do stand behind any parts i sell all local.
The Crankshafts are Chinese imports just like Eagle, Scat, RPM, Howards compustar Ohio crankshaft and a 1/2 doz. others floating around in the US. You can't buy an american made 4340 crank for $500.00 that is American forged and made, that goes for rods also.

Zip.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Dang... should have asked Zip. Zip know what time it is... school time.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

I have installed dist, some heads complete but i have allways no matter whos heads they are have taken them to my local machine shop to have checked. The water pumps only a few like everythig else no problems. I dint buy any of it it was all custmer bought but still had no problems. These parts were all on street driven machines.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Pro Comp

I purchased 2 sets of BBC Pro Comp polished with ball milled top cast valve covers. One set fit perfect. The other set leaked from the get go. Tryed 3 types of gaskets including the ones with the steel inside. They were 1/4"+ too short front to back and the gaskets just had no seal surface between the head and the covers. Spent more on gaskets and time than they were worth. I keep them on my wall to remind me.

If they can't make 2 sets of valve covers a like, what could they make correctly?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 PM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
( Quote)

Here is the direct link to the Importer in Ca.

1-909-605-1129 ProComp America,

Go to accounting or sales and they will direct you to the person in charge of returns and it cost nothing to return the item they will pay the shipping, and send you another.

Accounting is run by Charlotte, and Victoria,

Victoria and her husband run the American part of ProComp.
Victoria is the sister in law of the Austrailian owner and i've talked to both her and the owner many times, being a dealer for over 7 yrs., i've sold well over 100 distributors, with a problem with 5 of them. The modul is a stock HEI and interchangable. I've sold about a doz sets of heads, but do not sell them assembled. I won't sell them for racing but only street use., No issues with the heads YET. I don't sell much, no ads, only word of mouth. In your defense i will say that you can't run their parts any harder than a stock OEM replacment part from autozone.
As Hammertime says i've also sold a few water pumps with no issues YET. I do stand behind any parts i sell all local.
The Crankshafts are Chinese imports just like Eagle, Scat, RPM, Howards compustar Ohio crankshaft and a 1/2 doz. others floating around in the US. You can't buy an american made 4340 crank for $500.00 that is American forged and made, that goes for rods also.

Zip.
Gee i wonder how many chinese parts are on my 08 mustang??makes ya wonder ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -