Out of round wheel

Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Out of round wheel

I have 15x15 Weld Alumastar 2's. One of them has become out of round (for lack of a better word). You can just see the wobble when the wheel is on the balancer spinning. It still balanced with a lot of weight (4 strips of stick on's) and I don't have a vibration (hard to tell on the track).

Is there an economical way to repair this? Am I out $500? Or should I just leave it alone?

Steve
Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Out of round wheel

Originally Posted by ssym
I have 15x15 Weld Alumastar 2's. One of them has become out of round (for lack of a better word). You can just see the wobble when the wheel is on the balancer spinning. It still balanced with a lot of weight (4 strips of stick on's) and I don't have a vibration (hard to tell on the track).

Is there an economical way to repair this? Am I out $500? Or should I just leave it alone?

Steve
Did you put a run out gauge on them and spin them while on the balancer?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

The shop guy used the sliding tool that measures the rim size. You could see the run out in-and-out and a little up and down. We ran the rim on the machine without the tire after it was hard to balance.

We did not measure it. I was in a hurry. Mounted the slick and I am running it now with the extra weight.

Maybe not a good idea?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

a LOT of times this happens and it just looks bad and measures good. Best bet is to measure the run out of the wheel only when you have time.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:09 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

After getting a measurement the wheel is good. It was only the lip moving up and down about .125".

Tires are a little flat spotted because I let it sit on the ground.

Thanks for the thoughts.