Losing our home track

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Losing our home track

Well it seems that Tulsa Raceway Park may be a memory after 46 years. I have never known a time without this track. What has been said is the rock quarry down the road has bought it. This is not the only track in my area but it is 25 miles from home and has a storied history. Plus the owner had turned it into a first class facility. I only got 2 full years of driving, but have been going to the track since 1978.

Any of you who have been there know how nice a track it is and what a loss it is to the NHRA Division 4 sportsman series. It was just on the last sportsman show on ESPN as the sportsman track of the year. Just sad.

Curtis
Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I feel for you Curtis, it's never good to see any track close. At least you have another not too far away.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I hear you Curtis, we had Twin Cities close at the end of 2009, and NHRA track for over 40 yrs., it stayed closed for the 2010 season. Fortunately 2 local racers bought the track and reopened it in 2011 with an excellent program, it's now an outlaw track and pays very good money, thank god for a couple racers with some money and experience in how a track should be run, it's now a racers track and run by racers.

Zip.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

man this suks...... i dont wanna drive 2 hours to go race,,,and crap ,, we were going blown alky next year in Brodie's dragster ,,
Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Glad to say we got a 5 year reprieve. Two local racer / businessmen were able to secure a 5 year lease from Apac, the company that bought the track. Since one of them owns 4 car dealerships in the area they also got the city just down the road, Owasso, to help with publicity and start up fees. The trade off is sending as many people as we can to their hotels and resturaunts. Sounds like a deal to me.

HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

Curtis
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Thats Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:13 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Good news!

In the Atlanta Area we have lost two tracks to developers.
They buy land next door, build subdivisions and then the residents get together and vote them closed.

SE Dragway - Dallas, GA

Atlanta Speed Shop Dragway - Covington, GA
Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldandtired
In the Atlanta Area we have lost two tracks to developers.
They buy land next door, build subdivisions and then the residents get together and vote them closed.

SE Dragway - Dallas, GA

Atlanta Speed Shop Dragway - Covington, GA
Man that sucks. I hate to hear of any track closing.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
Glad to say we got a 5 year reprieve. Two local racer / businessmen were able to secure a 5 year lease from Apac, the company that bought the track. Since one of them owns 4 car dealerships in the area they also got the city just down the road, Owasso, to help with publicity and start up fees. The trade off is sending as many people as we can to their hotels and resturaunts. Sounds like a deal to me.

HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

Curtis

Good news!!!! awesome!!! That is a good deal for sure.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:02 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

glad to hear it. the tracks are really going to start to close in just a few yrs.as the economy stays stalled and few people racing. cars are changing so its harder for new guys to get started.im afraid the writing is on the wall.only tracks that draw big corp. racers are going to survive.small town tracks are going to be sold. v 8 s are getting just a tad harder to find to get a block to start with.(or go drop big bucks on a donovan etc.) its kinda like a snowball effect.but i sure hope im wrong. but look at whats left out there and then think ahead 10 yrs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -