Thread: Steering Shaft Help

Steering Shaft Help

Can you use 3 u-joints in a steering shaft? This is a street car. The shaft will not clear the header unless I add another u-joint. Thanks

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

yes

You can use as many as you can afford. Just be sure to use the bearing type and not the cheep pinned ones. The way you can tell is the cost on the good ones are about $75.00 each, Flaming river makes the ones I use. I use two 1/8" hardened roll pins on each end of the U joint to connect them to the 3/4" chrome molly tube.
    Bruce

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar

Re: yes

Quote Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
    You can use as many as you can afford. Just be sure to use the bearing type and not the cheep pinned ones. The way you can tell is the cost on the good ones are about $75.00 each, Flaming river makes the ones I use. I use two 1/8" hardened roll pins on each end of the U joint to connect them to the 3/4" chrome molly tube.
    Bruce
    yep--using junk parts in the steering can have bad affects ops: :wink:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Quote Originally Posted by lively
    Bruce
    yep... here's a good example........ lmao

http://autoholics.com/2011/06/21/Dra...e-Strip-544241
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

Thanks, now this is another thing to remember also if your using more than 2 u-joints you might need a sterring stablizer... This will keep the shaft from the wobble... this will be installed next Thanks again

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Use as many joints as needed.The more joints,and the more angle,the more steering resistance you will end up with.Just make sure each section of shaft between any two joints has its own support.NO FLOATING JOINTS!!!!
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

One word WOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by fast75vega
    Quote Originally Posted by lively
    Bruce
    yep... here's a good example........ lmao

http://autoholics.com/2011/06/21/Dra...e-Strip-544241

8. Racing Junk