batterys

Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 AM
racingtim666
SHOW GUEST

Default batterys

Yes i looked thru the ads and have a question on a battery style 12Volt

Good 12v for a dragster that is not too heavy, 468bbc normal electrial for a dragster,fuel,fan,brake,water pump,delay,7al3,air shifted. hope this is enough info to give feed back. Want only one have a altinator

thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Most common is the red top optima. We ran them before upgrading to 16 volts.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Me and you both, but your gonna get slammed when everybody reads this. I raced mine for 3 years and it's been in my Duramax for at least another year.

Most wil say a NAPA battery is the best. I'm sure somebody will post which NAPA #.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Battery

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
Originally Posted by shawnp
Me and you both, but your gonna get slammed when everybody reads this. I raced mine for 3 years and it's been in my Duramax for at least another year.

Most wil say a NAPA battery is the best. I'm sure somebody will post which NAPA #.
The Napa Battery is a ORBITAL.I REALY think they are Made by EXCIDE......?I Have both the Optima and Orbital,I lean more towards the Orbital because of the Warranty.
With a Plow Truck,and Dual batteries in the Trailer.I have spent $$ on Both Sides!
Later
G 8)
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I don't understand the issues with the Optima. I have run them for a long time. I have had each dragster for 2-3 years. Each one until the 2010 had Optima in it. Never did I have a problem with the 5 or 6 I had over the years in multiple applications.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 PM
racingtim666
SHOW GUEST

what # for the orbital our dealer can't seem to find??
Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Exide Orbital is my choice also.

I think the # is ORB78DT-84

Optimas are junk for a few reasons, 1 they dont last more then a few years normally, 2 even if they do fail under warranty you'll have a hard time getting a new one. A dealer in town says to me " I wont take them as Optima will never take care of me after I replace bad battery"

that in a nut shell has kept me far away from them
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Optimas are junk!!! Bought one and it lasted for six months and took it back to were i bought it from, they said it was out of warranty. When i bought the battery it had a sticker on it with 6-10 and when i called optima and read the date code off the top they said it only had a year warranty and was maid 4-09 there was nothing they could do for me but sell me another battery. Well i went back were i bought it and they said optima dont stand by what they sell because pepole dont charge, store, mantain, ect. My thing is how long the battery lasted not even two years with an alt on my car and i only had it 6 months. JMO!

And there over priced
Old 05-14-2011, 11:29 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

I have used Optima batteries for years and can't complain. I did have a couple that didn't last as they should have but they were warrantied without any problems. I guess it makes a difference who you buy from and how much they want your business. I think they may have had a bad run a couple of years ago and I think that's about the time I had my bad ones. Something that has to be kept in mind with the Optima is they don't charge like a conventional battery. If it gets discharged below a certain point you have to jumper it to another charged battery and slowly bring it back up. I'm sure a lot of these batteries were considered bad when they were just discharged and the proper procedure for recharging hadn't been followed. To each their own but I will continue to use Optima until I have a problem that isn't taken care of to my satisfaction.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Hi Chuck, I agree. I am a shop owner and bought it from another shop that carried them, which gets them from interstate batteries. I called them and they tried to a/c charge it with no luck, so i think that all everyone wanted to do was pass the buck from the maker to the sellers. I beleive that the warranty should start from the date of purchase and not from the day it was maid. I had alot of problems with interstate batts in the past and dont carrier them anymore so maybe thats why they didnt want to do anything for me, but optima should have stood by there battery and instead said sorry we can sell you a new one. I told them no thanks and that i could buy two car batts with a 5 year warranty cheaper than one of theres.

Well good luck with what ever battery he gose with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -