Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WATER VS. ANTIFREEZE

WATER VS. ANTIFREEZE

I am running a 468ci engine in a street car. I used to work on a stock car for many years, we ran water instead of coolant. I was wondering if i should run water instead of coolant in the radiator. Also does anybody run any additives in their cars?

Thanks.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    street car=antifreeze.......race car=water.....

Johnny

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    x2 know people that have run aditives and were happy havent myself
    CRIMEDOG
    Sam Wood

Straight water will allow your engine to run cooler but affords no corrosion protection, I suggest a real weak mixture of water & coolant for summertime, then prior to winter time and the first freeze, stiffen up the mixture to a min of 50/50 of water/antifreeze.

Water wetters and those types of additives work okay, I used them with some success....
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

[quote="cepx111"]Straight water will allow your engine to run cooler but affords no corrosion protection, quote]
    x2

Consider these possibilities- your water passage may have cast iron (block), aluminum (heads/AN fittings/radiator), bronze (waterpump bearing), stainless steel (intake bolts that go thru), pot metal (water neck). Do you know the galvanic action that occurs with heat and cooling plus the negative (ground) current?
    Run something.....
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

water runs cooler then antifreeze and i always ran water with the additive called water wetter(autozone sells it) .... its good stuff and when your in and out of the motor alot...... its easier to deal with then antifreeze....and EPA safe :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

im no expert but ive been taught that coolant/antifreeze runs cooler than water.. anti freeze does have a higher boiling point than water.that i do know cause i ruined one of my wife cooking pots to test that .and pure antifreeze will freeze cause i put a gallon in my freezer and out came 1 gallon of frozen anti freeze.now that was COOL

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    Here is the breakdown on Ethylene glycol antifreeze at sealevel.
    Boiling Point B.P.
    Freezing Point F.P.

Pure Water B.P. 100C / 212F F.P. 0C / 32F
    Antifreeze/Water 50/50 mix B.P. 106C / 223F F.P. -37C / -35 F
    Antifreeze/Water 70/30 mix B.P. 113C / 235F F.P. -55C / -67 F

Increasing altitude decreases the boiling point of water.

What no one has mentioned here is that it's illegal to run antifreese at a NHRA or IHRA track at any event, in fact if you are caught you can be disqualified. This is due to the problem cleaning up the track from antifreeze, it twice as hard to fix the track with an antifreese spill.

JMO

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    What no one has mentioned here is that it's illegal to run antifreese at a NHRA or IHRA track at any event, in fact if you are caught you can be disqualified. This is due to the problem cleaning up the track from antifreeze, it twice as hard to fix the track with an antifreese spill.

JMO

Zip.
    AF does not evaporate hardly at all, while H2o does. AF is VERY slick also ! PRECISELY why MOST tracks do not allow AF. Run pure H20 with water wetter as WW has lubricating and anti corrosion properties, and will evaporate with the H20.
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898