nova steering

Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Default nova steering

I have a 74 nova with tilt wheel. The problem I have is there is sevral inches of play in all directions from were the tilt joint is. I am afraid to drive the car until I fix this. Can the joint be just loose or is it worn out? I am looking for a book on the car to see how to disassemble the colum and inspect it. Has anybody ever done this just wondering what Iam getting into.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Those early GM tilt columns are notorious for the issue. I think there are 3 or 4 screws that mount the top to the tilt plate and they always work themselves loose. You will need a special tool to compress the spring to disassemble the upper part of the column. remove the turnsignal switch and the screws are in the plate underneath. Its been about 15 years since I have done one so anybody correct me if I am wrong.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
badrat1430
JOURNEYMAN

Just like harbone66 said ; but take them out 1 at a time and put lock-tite on them & crank the down tight & life will be good :wink:
Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks, for the help I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default tilted

when i did mine i laid the screws and pieces out on the dash in the order i removed them it went together fine to be honest I do not remember a special tool but mine is a 70 chevelle . If that helps , also pictures can help , it is very doable and it is probably just loose like the above Rj folks have said
Good luck