Thread: rear coilover

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

rear coilover

looking to up grade rear shocks and go with a true coil over looking at strange and
    a QA1
    any comments on either one,both are way better then the one I got with back half kit a few yrs ago

http://www.swracecars.com/store/Stra...98=50-051.aspx

http://www.swracecars.com/store/QA-1...6=50-019A.aspx

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

Rear coil overs

I like Koni or Strange and strange will service/repair them. Strange was copied after Koni I believe. I have ran both with no issues. My present car has QA1 on both ends with no issues.

I have heard QA1 has issues with leaks and when you send them in they are not repairable sometimes, but that is hear say.

I vote for Strange.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    I've never tried strange shocks, but see more and more guys running them. The only thing I didn't like was you had to order spring with the shocks. I already have plenty of springs. You may be able to get them seperate, but all three places I looked that's how they were sold.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabbit
    I've never tried strange shocks, but see more and more guys running them. The only thing I didn't like was you had to order spring with the shocks. I already have plenty of springs. You may be able to get them seperate, but all three places I looked that's how they were sold.
    summit, jegs and s&w sell just the shocks , you have to buy the springs seperate

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    We have cars with Strange dbl adj and QA-1 singles. I like the Strange units better based on the difference between the clicks. Both have served us well this is the only way I have been able to come to a conclusion as to which is better.

To quantify, the Strange units are on a 2700lb Nova that runs 9.40s, 4-link and 14-31 tires. The QA-1s are on my personal roadster that runs 9.50s @2050, 4-link, 14-33's.

Since my car is not really that fast I could probably get away with just about any shock on it, that's why it is hard for my to decide which is a better shock. If I were to buy a set, these came with the car, I would probably buy Afco or Strange Dbls.

Curtis

I run strange double adj, out back, and qa-1 singles up front and like the adjustibility on both.

we are building my wife a back halfed s10 truck this next yr so I needed to buy ladderbar and coilover shocks for her, so I am giving her my old basic set up and going to a true coilover, will be single adjustable, but better then my cheapos, I am only mid 10's so not very fast but , I am a bracket racer so will upgrade
    this is what I ordered today, on the way
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange+Engine...S5206/10002/-1

Find the sweet spot on adjustments, and your short times should improve, thus better et.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spib
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabbit
    summit, jegs and s&w sell just the shocks , you have to buy the springs seperate
    Jegs and summit were two of the places I looked.

Quantity Sold as a pair.
    Notes Specify spring rate before ordering.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-S5006/