Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: tuning an alky motor

  1. #1
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    965

    tuning an alky motor

    ok... one of our vega's has 434ci sbc running on alky. we think its running rich cause it never gets over 160 deg. and the oil gets real milky after just one weekend of running. we want to install the sensor in the exhausts but not sure how to got about it or what to look for while tuning it.


    any help as to what you think as far as the engine temp/ milky oil problem or how to do the sensors would be great :wink:
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    117
    how about a complete rundown of your car and application..

  3. #3
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    965
    its a 1/4 mile drag car

    434ci sbc pro top heads...it has a 4/7 swap 675 lift cam.......950 holly carb (i think it has 151 jets all the way around)

    the engine temp just doesnt get hot....the highest it gets is just under 160 on a hot day

    what is the best way to go about tuning it?
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

  4. #4
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coldwater, MI
    Posts
    2,998
    Does it gain any temp going down the track ?

    any idea where the idle mixture screws are at ?
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

    Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Does it gain any temp going down the track ?

    any idea where the idle mixture screws are at ?
    it never goes over 160 even after a run
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    965
    car runs 9.50's and very consistent....... the car runs cold and seems really rich.......plus doing alot of oil changes cause how milky it gets. i know it will run cooler and use more fuel but i dont know if the milky oil is normal or if not getting up near the 200 deg temp is hurting anything?
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    117

    Build some Heat!

    Quote Originally Posted by fast75vega
    car runs 9.50's and very consistent....... the car runs cold and seems really rich.......plus doing alot of oil changes cause how milky it gets. i know it will run cooler and use more fuel but i dont know if the milky oil is normal or if not getting up near the 200 deg temp is hurting anything?
    try leaning it a little at a time...when your consistency goes away you're too lean...you may build a little heat during the pass..

    your oil is getting milky because you are too rich, and/or you are not getting enough heat in the engine... do you have header evacuation or a vacuum pump?

    with mechanical injection, fuel can be bypassed to lean engine out and build heat, with a carb not sure what would be the best way? :?:

  8. #8
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    965
    no vac. system. we even turn the fan and water pump of trying to build heat and the damn temp stays put(we tried different temp gages too to rule out a bad reading) i heard that you can tune by exhaust temp ... is this true and how is it done? what temp should the exhaust be at then ?
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Coldwater, MI
    Posts
    2,998
    Quote Originally Posted by fast75vega
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Does it gain any temp going down the track ?

    any idea where the idle mixture screws are at ?
    it never goes over 160 even after a run
    so if you hit the starting line @ 160 it stays at 160 when your back at the trailer ?

    How about the idle mixture screws in the metering block, they will have a lot to do with it at idle building temp.

    How big of a radiator do you run ?
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

    Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls, NY
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by fast75vega
    Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Does it gain any temp going down the track ?

    any idea where the idle mixture screws are at ?
    it never goes over 160 even after a run
    so if you hit the starting line @ 160 it stays at 160 when your back at the trailer ?

    How about the idle mixture screws in the metering block, they will have a lot to do with it at idle building temp. the radiator is like 2ft x 2ft x 3"

    How big of a radiator do you run ?
    yeah.... it will be around 160 after a run and as we get back too the trailer. it will be around 145 at the line as far as the screws go... im not sure off the top of my head
    GOOD PARTS AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP PARTS ARE NEVER GOOD.........
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lastscan-3.jpg


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy