Thread: Powerglide issues, looking for advise

Junior Member APPRENTICE

Powerglide issues, looking for advise

I swapped out my powerglide after breaking the 1.76 planetary after my 1st qualifying round at NHRA unleashed last weak pulling away from the ticket booth. The one I put in the car was an unknown that had been in a shed for 10 years. Got it in the car at the track and made the show and it worked perfectly for 6 passes. At the track the other night after staging, put on the t-brake and the car backed up. Staged again and same issue. Decided to footbrake and the car would barely move in 1st gear and seemed fine in second. Pulled the tranny today and didn't find any broken gears or burnt clutches. Not sure what the issue is or what else to check.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Low band servo piston ring broken or piston seized in the bore? Possible band issue? Low pressure?

Johnny

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Also check the steel tube that goes from the valve body to the case for loose or cracked,that's how the fluid pressure gets from the valve body to the servo.Bill.

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    Took the transmission apart and found that the band was burned and out of adjustment. Replacing the band and will put back together . Thanks for the information guys.