Thread: av gas

Junior Member APPRENTICE

av gas

does anyone know if aviation gas is oxgenated? I have ran it and had better 60 ft times than with sunoco 112. just curios if anyone might know or maybe this was a fluke that it ran better. I went back to the 112 and my time fell off

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    AVGAS is usually 100 Octane. If your car slowed, it may be that your engine does not require 112 octane. What compression ratio are you running? A higher octane rating means the burn rate of the fuel is slower. A slower burn allows a more time to burn to prevent detonation. If your engine doesn't needing it , you can lose power.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Not exactly true, the rating is a resistance to detonation, not burn speed. A higher octane may actually burn faster. Gas is a mix of hydrocarbon compounds, some evaporate early and some late. To give you an example, Track Tek 114 has an initial boiling point of 110˚ and a 100% evaporated point of 300˚. Track Tek 118, a higher octane, also starts at 110˚ but ends earlier at 250˚. There are also differences in specific gravity of fuels, which usually require a change in tuneup. When we ran it years ago, it liked to be a little richer than race fuel, if you are too rich with race gas it might explain it.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I'd say its the specific gravity thats the difference. Check out specific gravity on Google and it'll explain it best about needing bigger or smaller jets depending on the specific gravity.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!