Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do 400 sbc problems

What to do 400 sbc problems

Here the problem got a 400 sbc from a guy on this web site ,first the roller lifter breaks in the first 75 miles not his fault I know he does't make the parts that failed.Next 1000miles later white smoke out the tail pipe no big deal pull off the head find 5 head bolt holes heli coiled and block is split .Next pull motor out and take apart and find it is not a 400 but a 377 so know do I keep it a 377 or go to a 406 I have a good 400 block but now I need a crank and pistons to make the 406 witch is what I wanted in the first place .If you think I should post the sellers name I will he doesn't return my emails so I will build it my self this time and I know it's done right. :roll:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    I have ran both in my avatar truck, both ran nearly identical motor times, the 377 was a tad faster on the bottle. I prefered the 377 simply because I like to twist mine, and the 406 ran out of breath about the time the 377 was just starting to sing. If my 377 stuff was good, and I had another block, I would go back with it, if I had to buy the stuff anyways, I probably would still do the 377, but if you prefer the 406, then it would be the time to do that. All boils down to what you want, and if I was unhappy with the sellers response, I might send them one more message that I was going to throw them under the bus...
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment...

I have been reading up on the 377 I guess they are a good motor just never had one before the brg spacers took me by surprize is there any problems with them. :?

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mytmouz's Avatar
    Not to me, but I am a fan of 377's. Never spun a spacer...
    If you think nobody cares, try missing a payment...

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    Ran with bearing spacers and never had a problem. I think the 377 is a great engine combo.

It did run good and could have got more out of it at the track if I new it was a 377. I was thinking it was a 406 so I tried to tune it has one more gear and a shorter tire should get it done and let it rev .

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    I always run spacers, plus there's an advantage to running them since the top spacer is grooved, i go 45 degrees and drill a 5/32" hole in the upper main bearing allowing more oil to the mains, i've had 4 or 5 377" motors including the one in my avatar car pictured.

Zip.

Iam feeling better now and so is my wallet just the bad work on the block is a joke if the heli coil didn't let go I wouldn't have a clue it was a 377 instead of a 400 but such is life .

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If the original builder would have put plugs in the steam holes and used studs there is a chance that the theads would have never needed hili- coils, i always use plugs in the steam hole and the 3/8" water hole and fill the block to the bottom of the waterpump holes.

Zip.

Got the new block friday heads planed put it together my self just got back form the road test 377 makes great power now it's done right .