carb leak?

Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default carb leak?

my drag car is all of a sudden idling rough and stalling in gear at low prms around the pits. just happened to look in the carb at Idle and it seemed like alot of gas pouring out the dogleg boosters instead of what i thought shoulkd have been a finer mist spraying out at idal. it looked like a faucet running slowly. is this a problem. i suspect it is. could it be a high float level due to a bad needle and seat. any test to see the problem. i can turn on the electric fuel pump when car is off and see if gas runs out then. any advice is appreciated. i took plugs out and they look shiny and silvery and sort of look wet thanks art
Old 09-05-2010, 05:26 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

First check fuel pressure. It shouldn't be no more than 9 psi. If it's OK, then look at you float level and possible dirt in the needle & seat. You shouldn't see any fuel in the venturis at idle.

TS1955
Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default carb leaks

thanks ts1955 when you say venturis i think that means what i call the boosters(4 round rings in center of carb bores. they were definitely pouring out gas while engine was idling. i will replace the needle and seatds and replace the accelerator pump diaphrams and readjust floats and then start the check process all over again as you suggest. i really think this will solve the problem. i will check the pressure and pressure regulator thanks art