Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: PLUG GAP

  1. #1
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496

    PLUG GAP

    CURIOUS,IS A BIGGER GAP BETTER,WHY DO SOME RUN SMALL GAPS AND OTHERS LARGER GAPS?

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,044
    The wider the gap the more resistance and the harder the ignition has to work to fire the plug.

    A smaller or narrower gap will actually have a fatter spark kernel than a plug gapped wider.


    On high compression motors on gas I run between .028 .032

    Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

  3. #3
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by cepx111
    The wider the gap the more resistance and the harder the ignition has to work to fire the plug.

    A smaller or narrower gap will actually have a fatter spark kernel than a plug gapped wider.


    On high compression motors on gas I run between .028 .032

    Cp
    I HAVE ABOUT 11.50 TO 11.75 IS 45 TO MUCH

  4. #4
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Napier, New Zealand
    Posts
    230
    45? What is your motor? I run 20-25 on a 632 nitrous motor.
    It Ain't Over Til Its NOVA - 634ci of S*#t Your Pants!

  5. #5
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyfireball
    45? What is your motor? I run 20-25 on a 632 nitrous motor.
    .045,GAS MOTOR 406 SBC

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890
    I run NGK 8's or 9's with gas or alcohol, if i'm running the V-gaps i set them at .022, gas or alcohol, if i'm running the ES version (flat tip) i set them at .025. All use MSD ignition. In my opinion .045 is way out of range. I know that the old HEI setups GM called for .040/.045, but with multi-spark-discharge aka MSD you'll get much better firing of fuel charge setting them at less than .030.

    JMO

    Zip.

  7. #7
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brookings South Dakota
    Posts
    244
    We see .035 to .040 gap makes peak power on most small blocks. If your using a mag then lower to around .025

  8. #8
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    HOW COME MSD CALL'S FOR .040-.050? USING A 6AL OR 6AL-2

  9. #9
    Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper06
    I run NGK 8's or 9's with gas or alcohol, if i'm running the V-gaps i set them at .022, gas or alcohol, if i'm running the ES version (flat tip) i set them at .025. All use MSD ignition. In my opinion .045 is way out of range. I know that the old HEI setups GM called for .040/.045, but with multi-spark-discharge aka MSD you'll get much better firing of fuel charge setting them at less than .030.
    DO YOU THINK NGK 7'S ARE TO HOT?

    JMO

    Zip.

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La.
    Posts
    2,890
    I think the 7's are more of a street application on pump gas. i run NGK 8's in my 377" on alcohol, and we run ES8's with a pump gas 468 b/blk shooting 200 shot of nitrous. I run NGK 9's in my blown alcohol sm/blk. I think the 8's would be better for your engine.

    JMO

    Zip.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy