Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shudder at high rpm shift

shudder at high rpm shift

Hello every one New to this site so take it easy on me. I have a rebuilt ford 360fe that shudders at high rpm(3800-4000) when shifting from first to second gear. I have no idea what may cause this! Ill give some quick facts/spec on the 360.

.30 over
    Eddelbrock performer intake
    eddelbrock 750 carb
    new timing set installed @4 deg advanced
    new cam and lifters adv duration 272/282 gross lift .460/.480
    9 inch rear end with 3.33
    stock dis
    TCI streat fiter c6 trans with 2000 stall converter

Any help advice would be great. Thanks in advance.!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Shudder like skipping or out of balance?
    Never messed with a 360 Ford, but the 429 and 460 have or don't have a weight on the flywheel that will cause one to vibrate if you don't have the right balancer.

shudder at high rpm

Hello, The shudder feels like the thing is going to die. If you let off and shift into third/drive everthing becomes normal. It almost feels like a timing or fuel thing but I am unshure. Im running a 95gpm fuel pump. The heads may even be bad. They have about 80k on them. I dont know what to do or where start? :?: :!:

Any help will be nice. Thanks for the reply.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    I would start with making sure it's getting fuel. Check fuel filter / pump, carb and distributor and make sure you do not have any vacuum leaks.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar

Re: shudder at high rpm

Quote Originally Posted by erikparker
    Hello, The shudder feels like the thing is going to die. If you let off and shift into third/drive everthing becomes normal.
    This makes it sound like fuel is a possibility. I know zero about Edelbrock carbs but your float level could be low or there could be a restriction somewhere in your system.

Curtis

shudder at high rpm

Thanks, Ill check out the fuel system as well as the flot levels. Ill put out a post to let you all know what i find. I wount really know until our test tune night. Well maybe ill have my self a test and tune night on some back road???

Thanks for the help!!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Re: shudder at high rpm

Quote Originally Posted by doorracer
    Quote Originally Posted by erikparker
    Hello, The shudder feels like the thing is going to die. If you let off and shift into third/drive everthing becomes normal.
    could be a restriction somewhere in your system.Curtis
    X2 Sounds like a classic case of a stopped up fuel filter to me, that or a bad fuel pump not keeping the pressure.

Goodluck>Cp
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar

What RPM is this 'shuddering' taking place ?

To me, 'SHUDDERING' means something out of balance and comes and goes sorta gradually and can be felt in more of a seat of the pants way
    'STUTTERING' IE; 'MISSING' has a more defined start/stop is an AUDIBLE sensation, and is a fuel/ignition issue.
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

I dont think its out of ballance. I think we are on to somthing with the fuel system. I havent had achance to work on it this week. hope to have some time this weekend to check out the fuel system. The shudder/miss/stumble only happens at 3800 to 4000 rpm. @ idle and off idle it is fine. It ony happens when im on it hard and shifting out of first. We will see what happens.

Thanks for all help.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    AND your sure you have not got a tranny issue :cry: :cry: :cry: ???????