Thread: Dowel pins needed??

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

Dowel pins needed??

Ok guys....Im putting in my BBC that has a front and back 1/4" mid-plate. Problem is tht the dowels that stick out of the back of the block are not long enough to stick out past the back mid-plate so that the transmission can align up and be supported. My local speed shop sold me 1 1/2" dowels. Im not sure this is long enough. Is that the stock chevy size or will the 1 1/2" work. Right now I have the ones that came with my 1978 BBC and are the stock ones. Those stock dowels are currently flush with the back of my rear mid-plate. Thanks to all in advance.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE fla1976's Avatar
    The dowels are press fit. You can tap them out. It sounds like they are just in too deep. Your mid plate is normally only about an eighth inch thick.

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    They make 2" long dowels also. Check Summit or Jegs.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by ccperf721p
    They make 2" long dowels also. Check Summit or Jegs.
    x2 id get them

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    We put the long ones in our RED and then discovered we could not put the glide in with the coupler. Had to tap them foward.
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

fla1976 ...once again...

Quote Originally Posted by fla1976
    The dowels are press fit. You can tap them out. It sounds like they are just in too deep. Your mid plate is normally only about an eighth inch thick.
    Once again...thanks. It turns out the stock ones are 1"
    the ones I bought are 1 5/8". The midplate is 1/4" and that was part of the problem. The 1 5/8" now stick out 1/2" past my midplate. perfect. I was affraid that if I used the 2" or even 2 1/2" that I saw in Jegs/summit that it could be a problem sliding my trans back in order to remove when needed. Its a tight area right there in this tube chassis.

Thanks for the help guys!!

7. Racing Junk