Thread: Coated headers and Engine Break in.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

Coated headers and Engine Break in.

Rudy posted a link to some headers in another thread.

The link talks about not using the coated headers for break in because it will damage the coating.I have heard this for years but never knew why. Why would the coating be damaged buring break in but not after break in? I don't get it..Is it just a preventative thing in case your tune up is a mile off the first time you start it?Such as retarded timing etc ? Can someone please explain to me what exactly happens?

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    call dan lemons

Friend didnt get his timing right(first running of engine) on the new crank trigger setup quick enough and his new coated headers baked to a point where the coating peeled in some places and turned flat silver/grey in others.

Quote Originally Posted by traysvega
    Friend didnt get his timing right(first running of engine) on the new crank trigger setup quick enough and his new coated headers baked to a point where the coating peeled in some places and turned flat silver/grey in others.
    x2 happened to me. It does not take very long to ruin the finish. In the midst of a new engine start, you are very busy...setting timing, fuel mixture, looking for leaks, etc.
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    Jett Hot coating is awesome!!! But not cheap.Never had a problem even during engine break in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldandtired
    x2 happened to me. It does not take very long to ruin the finish. In the midst of a new engine start, you are very busy...setting timing, fuel mixture, looking for leaks, etc.
    This is what I suspected. The coating is ruined due to not having the tune up set at start up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod74
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandtired
    This is what I suspected. The coating is ruined due to not having the tune up set at start up.
    correct or bad coating. I've seen poorly coated headers turn no matter what, I've also seen Chrome headers go real fast.
    David Lanning
    IHRA NHRA 387B

Fleenor Racing Transmission
    419-280-1406
    Lanning Electric
    Complete Drag Car Wiring
    APD Race Engines
    www.apdracing.com