Can't sell parts on sites

Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 AM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Can't sell parts on sites

The last few years I've tried selling sbc engine parts on sites like this one with zero success.Lots of hits but NO sales.The odd part is sooner or later I sell my parts to someone I know through racing for the prices I listed them for on these sites.I just sold a complete motor and the racer that bought it never looks at ads online and agreed my asking price was very resonable.Just wondering if any of you have experienced this same situation?Do you have to GIVE parts away to sell online?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I had the same problem with a really good motor I had. A lot of people don't want to buy parts they have never seen or know anything about the seller.
The last thing I posted on RJ I sold to someone I knew.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I know you guys don't like EBAY but THAT is the place to sell used parts. I bought a set of roller rockers (Crane Gold) for $140. After I bought them I decided I didn't want to risk running used rockers.I bought some new ones. When the used ones came I put the right back on ebay hoping to get my money back. They sold for $240 :shock: . I sold all the stuff from my old engine for way more than I could ever get advertising on Craigslist or a swap meet. Everything sells on ebay, for the most part.

I know there are the growing fees and all that, but at least you can sell the stuff quickly and get some of your money back.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I've had pretty good luck on here with smaller stuff. I sold my '66 Nova Pro Street on here. It took awhile but it sold.
Engines are a tough sell. Buyers are a little paranoid even if it has all the best parts it's still a crap shoot. Does it have one or a hundred passes left in it before it comes apart? Nobody knows.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
ken0069
MASTER BUILDER

Several things come to mind concerning online sales.

1. If a vendor will take a credit card I feel a little safer doing a transaction as if I get screwed then I can refuse payment and the credit card company will investigate. I've gotten money back a couple of times like that on deals that went south.

2. I'll NEVER, EVER buy another used engine UNLESS it's in pieces and I can see and check all of them! :shock: Been there, done that! Just too much shit could be wrong that you can't see.

3. I've bought a TON of stuff from Ron Owens Racing online mainly because I know him from this and another forum. He will also stand behind what he sells, has prices competitive with both Jegs and Summit on most stuff and a bunch of times I've gotten stuff from him in 24 hours!

So yeah, selling online is a crap shoot for both the seller and buyer and without some kind of way to make sure you're not going to get shafted, IMHO it's a hard sell. :wink:
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ken0069
Several things come to mind concerning online sales.

1. If a vendor will take a credit card I feel a little safer doing a transaction as if I get screwed then I can refuse payment and the credit card company will investigate. I've gotten money back a couple of times like that on deals that went south.

2. I'll NEVER, EVER buy another used engine UNLESS it's in pieces and I can see and check all of them! :shock: Been there, done that! Just too much s could be wrong that you can't see.

3. I've bought a TON of stuff from Ron Owens Racing online mainly because I know him from this and another forum. He will also stand behind what he sells, has prices competitive with both Jegs and Summit on most stuff and a bunch of times I've gotten stuff from him in 24 hours!

So yeah, selling online is a crap shoot for both the seller and buyer and without some kind of way to make sure you're not going to get shafted, IMHO it's a hard sell. :wink:
1st off Hello Old Friend Hope your doing well !

2nd i believe and practice what you just said.

for those of you that don't know Ken, he has been around a long time in the racing game..i have met him in person and had lunch in N.C. a few years back.

good to hear from you Ken !

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "