Thread: gear brand choices

gear brand choices

Is there a good better best brand of ring and pinion sets for a dana 44 rear.Have a 2000 lb mud racer with 700 plus hp and 40 in cuts and twisted piion off just behind front bearing, any comments welcome . :shock: :!:

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheRabbit's Avatar
    Can the 44 for a 9". A strange "Drag Gear" ( 9310 steel) will hold up as good as any. If you have the gear lightened it's good for 50 passes. If it's a standard gear no more than 75 passes. You may get a little more out of it with only 700hp and 2,000lbs, but the gears start cracking real quick after that many passes.
    You running 40 hawgs or 39.5 swampers? Swampers bite a lot harder than the hawgs.

Thanks, I was thinking that and tires are boggers,are there any choices for the dana . ops: ops:

You can get the same drag gear for most rear ends, but in the long run you will be better off with a good 9". Ford did do at least one thing right!!

DO NOT USE A YUKON GEAR in the rear. Ok for the front, but never in the rear.

It was a YUKON gear set ,and yes to the 9 in. ,this is a narrowed rear with a 4 link, I suppose the 9in could be built the same. 8) Thanks

This is my Moser 9". It's narrowed 8 "'s.
    You'll have much better performance out of a good gear than you did the Yukon. However, no matter what gear they only hold up for so long.