Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: line boring

  1. #1

    line boring

    Hi,im building a mopar 440 engine,looking for 600 hp. The block im using doesnt have the original main caps,actually it has no caps.so I plan on installing some billet caps.Question,can someone explain to me the benefits and possible pitfalls?I plan on using a double roller chain,will there be a lot of slack in the chain? Any idea of what the line bore and hone will remove from my shallow pocket?? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,143
    align hone job is about $100-$150 around here.Installing 4 bolt caps on a 2 bolt block is $350-$500. Not sure about doing what you are asking. I would call around prices can differ a great deal from shop to shop...however you pay for what you get so make sure the shop is reputable.



    I believe you can buy timing chains made shorter for blocks that have been align bored.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod74
    align hone job is about $100-$150 around here.Installing 4 bolt caps on a 2 bolt block is $350-$500. Not sure about doing what you are asking. I would call around prices can differ a great deal from shop to shop...however you pay for what you get so make sure the shop is reputable.



    I believe you can buy timing chains made shorter for blocks that have been align bored.
    So true.I just moved to S.W.Virginia,near Bristol raceway so I hope someone here knows of a good mopar shop.I dont think theres thick enough webbing to install 4 bolt caps on a 440.I worry about getting an incompetent machinest most of all but I also wonder if this changes the cam and crank centerline, or if they follow the existing center. I do agree finding a competent shop is foremost.Thanks for the reply Todd.

  4. #4
    Member JUNIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    94
    if you'r shop knows what they are doing, they will not get into main saddles more than .0005 to clean up.. the cap is where i take all the material away. it should not change centerline. also put caps on with the fastener that you'r going to use.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by performanceengin
    if you'r shop knows what they are doing, they will not get into main saddles more than .0005 to clean up.. the cap is where i take all the material away. it should not change centerline. also put caps on with the fastener that you'r going to use.
    These are words of wisdom and encouragement for me,thank you for sharing. Now I need to find a good machine shop in Bristol Virginia.

  6. #6
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Independence, Missouri
    Posts
    1,188
    Talk to Mopar1968, I have a feeling, he knows some good ones, in that area.

    What's with you Virginia guys, and the Mopars? :P

    Sorry for the volunteer, Mark, I just got back from the VOLUNTEER state.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    **IN GOD WE TRUST**

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomb
    Talk to Mopar1968, I have a feeling, he knows some good ones, in that area.

    What's with you Virginia guys, and the Mopars? :P

    Sorry for the volunteer, Mark, I just got back from the VOLUNTEER state.
    If it makes ya feel better bomber I had a duster with a stroked tall boy bb chevy. 12 bolt too.I ended up snapping the drivers side axle tube off the car. :lol: Thanks for the info friend.

  8. #8
    What the heck? Being near Bristol raceway and theres only possibly 1 machine shop that line hones.This sux. Twin cities auto machine,and thats a maybe,lol. Hill billy vettes says bucks racing,as did farmers machine. What a crock of sheiot,lol.Looks like im going to have to call chenoweth racing for a decent job. I guess hillbillies dont believe in lineboring or a wet magnaflux test. :?

  9. #9
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE mopar1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Abingdon,Virginia
    Posts
    3,579
    Go to S-G auto machine talk to Don he does all race engines in this area, Or just call me look on my profile and you can get my number.
    Head's up the true drag race!!

  10. #10
    Hello 68 I called s&g and they told me they dont line bore.They send it out.I called twin city,closed today.I just cant believe with Bristol raceway so close there are not very many good machine shops in the area. I did get a price of $300 to linebore and fit the caps properly in the registers but they are 300 miles away. Know anyone selling a decent A or B body? Hell,I have a 77 400,and im thinking for the money I may as well build a stroker out of it and have a better engine. Do you know when the next mopar event is,and do they have a swap meet? Appreciate any help you can give.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Email us - Support@RacingJunk.com
Call us - 866.326.9227
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy