Thread: 434 Camshaft clearance

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN

434 Camshaft clearance

I thought I had read somewhere that in a stock block you are limited to how much camshaft you can throw at it without hitting the rods even on a small base circle, does anyone know if this is true? What is the limit? Thanks, any info greatly appreciated!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    It kinda depends on the rods you use and what some cam manufacturers call a small base circle. Some cam grinders call a .930 a small base circle and some call a .900 a small base circle. In most cases you're safe with a .630 to .640 lift. I had bullit grind my cam and it's a .870 base circle, i'm running a .689 lift with a set of Lunati Promod rods, but it's also in a Dart lil "M" block, a stock block has the came cam height.

Zip.

Junior Member JOURNEYMAN
    I have the eagle h-beam 3D stroker rod with L19 bolts, didnt know of the .870 base circle, thanks for the info!

Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Duration and separation angle will come into play as well. I've always been fine with .450 lobe lift, but it got a little tight after 278 duration. at 284 / 292 I had to pull .040 from the rods to get what I felt was safe clearance.

Mock it up before the balance work..

Quote Originally Posted by ccperf721p
    Duration and separation angle will come into play as well. I've always been fine with .450 lobe lift, but it got a little tight after 278 duration. at 284 / 292 I had to pull .040 from the rods to get what I felt was safe clearance.

Mock it up before the balance work..
    Yep!
    Mine is right in the danger zone, that why i ask them to grind it too an .880 BC which is not standard, but i'd seen the problem before.

Zip.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    .850 base circle, and ground a little off the Lunati Pro Mod rods on mine. The wider the LSA, the more issues you will have with clearance.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

The number 2 rod is the clearance problem. Just pull it and run a 7 cylinder!
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke