expozy primer

Old 05-22-2010, 05:26 PM
mmphillips
SHOW GUEST

Default expozy primer

Im doing body work on a 71 nova. the car is in bare except for the new 1/4's.i want to spray ppg expozy on it.should I sand the new 1/4's down to bare metel or keep the coating on,then spray expozy on top of the 1/4's?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I would bare metal them then epoxy,then do the bodywork on top of the epoxy.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

x2 what tod said. if after you epoxy & it sits more than 3-4 days lightly sand epoxy before body filler or primer is applied over it.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Ok if you are going to be applying bondo or Plastic filler you should apply it to bare metal that has been ground a little so that it will "stick" or "grab" onto the metal. Sometimes it is a waste of primer applying the bondo or plastic filler after you primer due to having to rough it up so it will stick. As for the new 1/4s you dont need to take them down to bare metal. Just need to rough them up so that the primer will stick to them. Just have to make sure that there is no surface rust starting when you go to primer them. Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
Ok if you are going to be applying bondo or Plastic filler you should apply it to bare metal that has been ground a little so that it will "stick" or "grab" onto the metal. Sometimes it is a waste of primer applying the bondo or plastic filler after you primer due to having to rough it up so it will stick. As for the new 1/4s you dont need to take them down to bare metal. Just need to rough them up so that the primer will stick to them. Just have to make sure that there is no surface rust starting when you go to primer them. Hope this helps
No offense Dirka but that is how it was done 20 years ago...I still do that because I don't mess with the epoxy primer since I do not have a booth . I use self etch and 2k Urethane....BUT the general consensus from Professionals now is epoxy first to seal everything then body work on top. EPOXY isn't the same as old school primer.