Rear Wilwood Disc Brakes interference with Weld Wheels

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Rear Wilwood Disc Brakes interference with Weld Wheels

I just completed an update on my back half 1980 Malibu Bracket car.

I went to 35 spline Strange axles, spool, and 5/8" drive studs for the wheels. Also replaced all bolts and heim ends. And had 9" rear end and ladder bars powder coated.

Last item is, I changed from drum brakes to Wilwood Disc brakes. I used kit # 140-0261. I have Weld Alumistar 15"X 15" rear wheels with about 7" back space.

The problem is the outer radius of the brake calipers and the inner radius of the wheels are about the same and rub each other. The wheels won't even turn.

I called Wilwood and they said there is no brake with less radius and I need to change wheels.

I looked at a buddies car tonight that has Wilwood disc brakes and he has 1/4" clearance. But he has much less back space on his wheels.

Any one else have this issue??

I know I can grind/clearance the calipers some but hate to cut on brand new parts.

Wilwood also said .060" clearance is enough, but stopped short of agreeing grinding is OK.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Will a spacer plate help?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default rear Wilwood brakes

Actually the hats on the rotors are 3/8" thicker than the drum brakes were, so it is already out that much more. The tires are out against the fenders now. Thanks for the come back.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM
al34
JOURNEYMAN

Thats odd... I have willwood disk on the rear and Weld draglite 15x10s 6" back space. My shit is hella close but doesn't rub. when I ballance the wheels I have to put the tape weights all the way toward the edge of the wheel or the caliper will take them off.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Something doesn't sound right. I'm running a Dana 60 but with Ford ends with Weld Alumistars 15x15, 7" backspace and stick on weights with clearance. I'm not sure what Wilwood kit I used but I could look through my paperwork and see if you would like.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Rear Wilwood rear brakes

Well I just went ahead and carefully profiled the calipers for .090" clearance.
The Wilwood unlike a Strange is is not fully machinde in that area and has excessive material on the casting. The two halves of the calipers where they bolt together are not even close to same size. There is still adequate material now. Just a shame they don't engineer close tolerances than that. Hate to have to customize on a safety item.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Wouldn't surprise me if they have sent you a mismatched pair. Probably only half the caliper is for your set-up.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 AM
farnson
SHOW GUEST

Are the brackets correct? 9" Here with old style big ends with 15X15 Welds 7" backspace. No problem at all
Old 06-04-2010, 05:47 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Rear disc brakes

I have the paperwork and the numbers are stamped into the brackets. Everything look good. The kit was all together and appeared to not have been tampered with. Like I said, Wilwood stopped short of telling me I could modify them, but told me to make sure if I did that .060" clearance was OK.
I have .090" now. Makes me think they have had this issue before and just can't talk about it for liability reasons.
This weekend will be the first time out, but it looks like rain. I may just put it back on jack stands and do a little testing in the garage.