Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion what caused this?

In your opinion what caused this?

388 sbc I bought .

Thanks for you input in advance.

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR

Epoxy?

It is hard to tell exactly what I am looking at by these photos, but if that is a thin coat of epoxy that was used to seal a cracked block and then painted to cover it up, that is what I would expect to happen. As for the condensate in the valve cover, it could be normal if the oil still looks clean. Most Racing engines run cool and show condensate in that area if you have started up without getting hot before shut down. These could be two different issues, but the block, if it is how it looks, give it a toss in a lake for the fish or dumpster if you are green.
    Bruce

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    The paint cracking on the side of the block makes me think it was full of water and froze......just a guess though
    Johnny

Re: Epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
    It is hard to tell exactly what I am looking at by these photos, but if that is a thin coat of epoxy that was used to seal a cracked block and then painted to cover it up, that is what I would expect to happen. As for the condensate in the valve cover, it could be normal if the oil still looks clean. Most Racing engines run cool and show condensate in that area if you have started up without getting hot before shut down. These could be two different issues, but the block, if it is how it looks, give it a toss in a lake for the fish or dumpster if you are green.
    Bruce
    Nope no epoxy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by johnracer
    The paint cracking on the side of the block makes me think it was full of water and froze......just a guess though
    Johnny
    I believe the same.Just like to have more opinions for the seller(he's wanting to make it right)...Thanks

could it be paint?duplicolor black with ceramic can get pretty thick if you put a bunch of coats on. 8)

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Looks like it might be an old heat issue. Either from within or from header/head gasket leak. Without actually feeling if it's 'bulged' it's hard to tell.
    Does this thing still rotate smoothly ?
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
    Looks like it might be an old heat issue. Either from within or from header/head gasket leak. Without actually feeling if it's 'bulged' it's hard to tell.
    Does this thing still rotate smoothly ?
    Still runs.Oil has water in it(again).Lots more than just your "normal condensation"Turns my snap on head gasket yellow(combustion in the radiator),and my 20 plus years of exp. looks to me like it frooze,block expanded and paint poped and created 2 small cracks,one on each side.Reason the freeze out plugs didn't do their job was the block is concreted from bottom of water pump holes down.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    JUNK BLOCK--BOAT ANCHOR 8) 8)

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    If the integrity of the block (internally) is ok, I got a nickle rod and a rose bud that will fix it.
    ***IN GOD WE TRUST***