TURNING DOWN A BBC CRANK

Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM
xpocdude
APPRENTICE

Default TURNING DOWN A BBC CRANK

:?
Does anyone know by turning down the crank so a set of race rods will fit.would ther be any problem with it braking?im not going to spray it.or if i do spray it would it be a problem. i bought a very nice set of rods an pistons that i want to use in the bbc block but the only way to use the rods is to have the crank worked. Thanks for any help
Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I assume you are talking about a small journal rod on a std crank journals ?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Crank

Hes Probably got a 2.200 BBC Crank and a set of SBC 2.100 Rods,this is a Very common Deal.I have 3-Sets of these rods.Years ago,this was the way of Making more Cubes.I have even seen,a BBC Crank turned to 2.00 Rod Journal which is s Small jornal SBC.
I have a Eagle Crank laying here that MIGHT get that treament?Either that or a Mail/Box Leg???
Later
G 8)
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 AM
xpocdude
APPRENTICE

I have a bbc tall deck . these are 6.535 rods with the end that fits on the crank journal being the size of a small block . so i was told being a 400 bb std.crank id need to turn the crank to get the rods to fit.ive never heard of a bb rod haveing the small end the size of a small block.i would think its to get higher Rs or lighten up the whight.i dont know. but i was never told this when i bought this rod and piston set up that this was the set up. i was only told yes its a tall deck bbc .100 over with 6.535 rods.so id like to know if anyone heard of this and will i have any problems with turning the crank down to that size.i know it has to be forged again after that but i dont wont to do this if ill have problems. no im not going to spray it. any help would help thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Crank

If You have a GOOD BBC Crank and its Standard on the Rod Journal?Just Buy the Correct BBC Rod,instead of Wasting a Good Crank.This is Done to a Crank that has had a Problem with a Spun bearing on a Rod Journal.
Hopefully thats Clears your Question up?
Later
G 8)
Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 AM
xpocdude
APPRENTICE

I understand,but i payed good money for these alluminum rods and pistons.im just woundering IF id have any problems by doing this.im not going to spray, but eather way if i do spray will i have a problem by working the crank????????????????????????
Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

What is the stroke of the crank you are thinking of turning? The reason I'm asking is I have an Eagle 4340 4" stroke that needs turned. If you want to pay shipping I'll practically give it away.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Crank

And I have a FINE EAGLE 4340 4.25 that has a Black Rod Journal,same DEAL!

If your WORRIED about Sraying the Motor,DONT do it!Because everytime you acctivate the Hose,that will be in Your Mind.
I have had 3-Motors with SBC Rod Journals,they were all Injected Motors.The Last 1 was almost 950HP,never had a Issue.The Guy I bought it From was a Engine Builder from So.Ind.He ranit in His Top Dragster and said that He would Hit it SOMETIMES with 225Hp of Hose to get the Car in the Field,so maybe this sheads some Light??
If you had the Crank Turned and then Hard/Chromed I would let it HAPPEN!
Later
G 8)
Old 03-14-2010, 02:48 PM
xpocdude
APPRENTICE

Thanks for all the help to all,i have a forged 4" crank. thanks again i will be turning the crank seeing there will be know problem . 8)