Crankcase evac tubes / breather Pontiac 455

Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
mfennell
SHOW GUEST

Default Crankcase evac tubes / breather Pontiac 455

Hello, I built a Pontiac 455 which is mostly going to be used on the street and occasionally will be run on the strip. I was told by a Pontiac drag racer to add crankcase evac tube / breather kit. He said it would be worth up to 25 HP gain. I was recently told by another that one should not run that system on a street car because it sucks all the oil out. I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be great. Visit my web site to see the build of my 64 Tempest at http://www.hotrodtempest.com

Mike
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

A crank case evac. system is not good for 25 HP, some vacuum pumps may help to about 20, but that's not for sure.
The evac. system does not work well with mufflers dues to back pressure. You're better off to run it back into the base of the carb, as in a stock setup.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 AM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default pan evac

another thing about pan evac is that they dont work till you get your flow up as crusing around wont do anything, you need to be going pretty good to cause a vacumm to pull the heavy vapors out of the engine so i also agree for what you are doing i dont see any reason to do it, good luck