Battery main switch question

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Battery main switch question

I am using a GM single wire alternator with internal regulator. I'm needing to wire it through the main battery switch with 2 large studs and 2 small studs. The wiring diagram that came with the switch shows running a wire from one of the small studs to (F) on the alternator and from the other small stud to the (F) on the regulator. HOWEVER with an internal regulator I can't wire it this way.

What is the proper way to wire this so that the alternator will shut down when the main switch is turned off ?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Hey DD,
If I remember correctly, I believe you take a 10 gage wire from the back post of the alternator to the + side of the battery.

Chris
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
Hey DD,
If I remember correctly, I believe you take a 10 gage wire from the back post of the alternator to the + side of the battery.

Chris
Through the switch. IOW from the alternator to the small post on the switch then from the other small post to the positive side of the battery. It just cuts the flow of power.

Curtis
Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Wouldn't that be the same as using the big posts in the same way ? That's how I have it wired now, but when I turn off the master, it does NOT kill the engine as required by most sanctioning bodies..
Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

You have it wired from large to large, or small to small?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Wouldn't that be the same as using the big posts in the same way ? That's how I have it wired now, but when I turn off the master, it does NOT kill the engine as required by most sanctioning bodies..
Not necessarily. Depends on which side of the cutoff the alternator is hooked to. If it's attached to the battery side or to the pos batt post, the car will shut off but the alt wire will always be hot. If it's attached to the car side, the car will continue to run because the alternator is supplying the power. By the way, when this occurs, the alternator voltage will be unregulated and will go to 20+ volts when you turn off the switch.....ever been told you could test an alternator by unhooking the positive battery cable? That's why you shouldn't. It'll supply 20+ volts to the entire car if the alternator is working......

I'd think the small posts on the switch would be independent of the big posts on that kind of switch or you could use a relay
Johnny
Old 02-17-2010, 01:26 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

The easiest way is to put the wire from the alternator through a heavy duty relay. The relay is deactivated when the switch is turned off and the alternator will stop putting out current.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

i would say hook the alternator wire to the small post that is not common to either big post in the off position
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Does anyone have a diagram of this. Sorry I gave some wrong info DD
Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

No offense all, but this might be one of those 'teachable moments' that Barry is so fond of. We're getting all sorts of differing ideas here so I'm STILL in doubt as to the correct connection(not like the French Connection :shock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -