taking deposits for cars or parts

Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
meineke
SHOW GUEST

Default taking deposits for cars or parts

For all you drag racers selling parts or cars on racingjunk i would like to know your input on taking deposits for cars,parts etc. When a person gives you a deposit on something that you are trying to sell what is what is your policy on a deposit refund if that person decides not to buy your car or parts. Does he lose his deposit?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

that veries mainly if you (seller) expresses in writing (mail rj mail best) that it is either refundable or non refundable. as seller it is your call just be clear and up front in writing so there is no misunderstanding and not accused of scamming
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: taking deposits for cars or parts

Originally Posted by meineke
For all you drag racers selling parts or cars on racingjunk i would like to know your input on taking deposits for cars,parts etc. When a person gives you a deposit on something that you are trying to sell what is what is your policy on a deposit refund if that person decides not to buy your car or parts. Does he lose his deposit?
If you state it up front- thats its forfeit- then it should be forfeit.

Your time, cost of ads etc has value.

Typically set the deposit to what you will be out if he walks and make it not refundable and confirm in writing, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Scorp
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

If you put the deposit at a fair % of the price and depending if they come to you or are meeting halfway it will help eliminate most of the tire kickers, if you post nonrefundable.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

If a man just desides flat out he doesn't want the car/part after 7 day's,I keep the deposit because i have marked sale pending and probably lost a good sale :!: But on the other hand if it is due to health reason's or something legit, i will return it to them :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

i would refund a deposit if it was for a health/ true financial problem 8) 8)
UNLESS IT WAS MOPAR1968----THEN I WOULD JUST PLAIN [HANG HIM UP!!!!] LOLOLOLOL==SORRY JUST COULDN'T RESIST MOPAR :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU KNOW I AM YOUR FRIEND---LIVELY
Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I know you couldn't resist, LOL, :lol: :lol: Your a good man ''Lively''

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: taking deposits for cars or parts

Originally Posted by meineke

If it was done sight unseen and they get there and its not what they were told or misrepresented then they get the deposit back.

I remember years ago my dad took a deposit on a 72 nova he had for sale, guy came and looked at it and put down 500.00 2 weeks later he wanted it back as he couldnt come up with the rest of the money. My dad told him no its a deposit and not his fault he bought without having all the funds. State Police showed up with the guy asking for the money back, my dad explained to the cops what had happend and the cops told the guy he was not getting his money back.