Thread: sbc valve guide cutter for positive seals

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

sbc valve guide cutter for positive seals

Anyone ever use one of these on a drill to cut valve guides for positive seals? If so, did it work well and how long will they last?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-...Q5fAccessories

I have, being a machinest all my life, they will work well, and the carbide last a long time with alum or cast iron.
    A couple things to be careful about, just make sure the arbor you use extends out from the cutter atleast a couple inches so it keeps the cutter in line, and use the highest speed 1/2" drill you can find.

JMO

Zip.

Any idea in what rpms i should use for cast iron? Thank you zip!!!

Over 1,000 rpms, i would use 1500/2000 rpms. The worse damage would be if you hung up the cutting tool and it chipped or loosened the carbide tips which are brazed on the cutter. All the cutter we use on CNC equipment are carbide, it is the best outside of ceramic or diamond inserts which is only used for heat treated materials. You can also run the cutter dry, no coolant on cast iron, on alum use kerosene or diesel fuel to keep the alum from sticking to the cutter.

Zip.

Zip is 100% correct. Those cutters will last for many jobs if used as he indicated. I have many sets, and can change the arbor (pilot) to fit several sizes of valve guides. You can extend your ability to do head improvement by buying spring seat cutters that fit your pilots.
    Dave
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Competition products sells one with the arbor for 48.95 I think...I was thinking of trying this too....Will they shorten the guide at all or just cut the outside? Also..what is the minimum clearance needed between the retainer and the seal/guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Tod74
    Competition products sells one with the arbor for 48.95 I think...I was thinking of trying this too....Will they shorten the guide at all or just cut the outside? Also..what is the minimum clearance needed between the retainer and the seal/guide?
    No Tod,
    It doesn't cut the top of the guide, but i couldn't find the tool at CP with the arbor, i probably missed it, but below it's pictured with and arbor but specifies without for $42.00.

Zip.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/P...ductinfo/4725/

Quote Originally Posted by kwkracing
    Yes that one does, as does the one from CompCams, you'll notice a 3rd brazed on carbide cutting tip that cuts/chamfers the top of the guide. However the one from Compitition Products does not have the 3 brazed carbide cutter on it, therefore only cutting the seal dia.

Zip.