Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need advice quick

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER

need advice quick

im buyin new axles for my 83 chevy 1/2 ton
    it has a 8.5 10 blt and it has c clip axles, now no one has c clip axles for it they r all back ordered, they have bolt in axles that are for my rear end though
    what is the difference, can i use them or not i really need to know

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    did you try moser? strange? the only other route is c clip eleminators and non-c clip axles . for that your going to have to chop off the ends of your axle tubes where your bearings are now & install axles with c clip eleminators.

Bowhay, in all honesty, if you are going to someday put more motor in that thing,or run it with slicks,then I would use the bolt in/c clip eliminator style, because if you hook hard and bust an axle,it will keep the axle in the rear end.With c clip axles,if you break one the axle can come out and tear the side of the car/truck all to hell or worse cause you to wreck...BUT, if you just have a mild small block like I think you have, I would just wait and get the axles that fit the rear that you have now(c clip). I do not think you need the bolt in style for your application. Just my opinion. The bolt in style is better, but I am sure there are other things you could spend your money on...Again..JUST MY OPINION and I am not saying your truck doesn't make any power.

AXLE

BOWAY,
    Please dont take this the Wrong way,I'm only trying to HELPYou!Cause I have BEEN There and Done it!
    Unhook that 8.5,go down the Bone yard and Find a 9" Ford Rear that is Close the rite Width,with a 31 spline axle.And,for less than what you are going to drop on any of the Rear-End Parts for the Junk 8.5?You will have a Rear-End that you can get just about any Parts that you Need for a Thrid of the Parts for the 8.5?This is J.M.O.!
    Later
    G 8)

Re: AXLE

Quote Originally Posted by bbchevy
    BOWAY,
    Please dont take this the Wrong way,I'm only trying to HELPYou!Cause I have BEEN There and Done it!
    Unhook that 8.5,go down the Bone yard and Find a 9" Ford Rear that is Close the rite Width,with a 31 spline axle.And,for less than what you are going to drop on any of the Rear-End Parts for the Junk 8.5?You will have a Rear-End that you can get just about any Parts that you Need for a Thrid of the Parts for the 8.5?This is J.M.O.!
    Later
    G 8)

X2 !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blowninjected 540 - when is going fast, Fast enough ?????

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/182079

X3!!!!!!

ok this is only for now, im puttin a narrowed 12 bolt in it later on im just tryin to beef ur the rear cus i just put a 175 shot of spray in the 383 and i know the axles wont hold, the combo i have now is just to get used to drag racing at the track next season il have a bbc with the 12 blt

Axle

B/W,
    Dont BOTHER with the 12-Bolt,your NOT Gaining Much over the 8.5.Put the 9" in and BE DONE!Listen to Me,this is not the 1st Rodeo for me?I just seen a Complete 9" center w/Spool on the Classifieds for 225.00.The Gear for the 12 bolt will be More than that!
    Not saying you Cant Break a 9",but when you add that rear Pinion bearing it SURE makes a LARGE Difference!
    Later
    G 8)

I don't think he will break the rerend he has. It has to hook up before he tears the rearend out...at least that's my opinion....I might be wrong... BUT I am betting he is using the foot brake + It's a pickup truck...unless it is set up for drag racing,when he hits the spray he is going to light the tires up. JMO

it is set ur for racing, but im not gonna hit the spray off the line, ans yes its footbreak